May 31, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
Former Buffalo bench boss Lindy Ruff is the 13/4 favorite to be named the new head coach of the New York Rangers, according to online bookmaker Bovada.
Ruff was fired by the Sabres in February. He’d been the head coach in Buffalo since July 21, 1997. Four times Ruff took the Sabres to the conference finals. He led them to the Stanley Cup finals in 1999, where they fell to the Dallas Stars in six games.
Ruff is no pushover, but he’s considered less combative than John Tortorella, who was fired by the Rangers this week. It’s been reported that “multiple” New York players pushed for Tortorella’s dismissal.
Whoever ends up with the job, Rangers general manager Glen Sather has said he wants his new coach hired in time for the June 30 draft.
Here are the rest of the candidates, according to Bovada:
Alain Vigneault 7/2
Mark Messier 7/2
Dave Tippett 11/2
Dallas Eakins 7/1
Mike Keenan 15/2
Paul Maurice 8/1
Marc Crawford 17/2
Guy Boucher 15/1
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)