May 31, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
Former Buffalo bench boss Lindy Ruff is the 13/4 favorite to be named the new head coach of the New York Rangers, according to online bookmaker Bovada.
Ruff was fired by the Sabres in February. He’d been the head coach in Buffalo since July 21, 1997. Four times Ruff took the Sabres to the conference finals. He led them to the Stanley Cup finals in 1999, where they fell to the Dallas Stars in six games.
Ruff is no pushover, but he’s considered less combative than John Tortorella, who was fired by the Rangers this week. It’s been reported that “multiple” New York players pushed for Tortorella’s dismissal.
Whoever ends up with the job, Rangers general manager Glen Sather has said he wants his new coach hired in time for the June 30 draft.
Here are the rest of the candidates, according to Bovada:
Alain Vigneault 7/2
Mark Messier 7/2
Dave Tippett 11/2
Dallas Eakins 7/1
Mike Keenan 15/2
Paul Maurice 8/1
Marc Crawford 17/2
Guy Boucher 15/1
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 0
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 24
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 6
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)