May 31, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
Former Buffalo bench boss Lindy Ruff is the 13/4 favorite to be named the new head coach of the New York Rangers, according to online bookmaker Bovada.
Ruff was fired by the Sabres in February. He’d been the head coach in Buffalo since July 21, 1997. Four times Ruff took the Sabres to the conference finals. He led them to the Stanley Cup finals in 1999, where they fell to the Dallas Stars in six games.
Ruff is no pushover, but he’s considered less combative than John Tortorella, who was fired by the Rangers this week. It’s been reported that “multiple” New York players pushed for Tortorella’s dismissal.
Whoever ends up with the job, Rangers general manager Glen Sather has said he wants his new coach hired in time for the June 30 draft.
Here are the rest of the candidates, according to Bovada:
Alain Vigneault 7/2
Mark Messier 7/2
Dave Tippett 11/2
Dallas Eakins 7/1
Mike Keenan 15/2
Paul Maurice 8/1
Marc Crawford 17/2
Guy Boucher 15/1
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)