May 31, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
Former Buffalo bench boss Lindy Ruff is the 13/4 favorite to be named the new head coach of the New York Rangers, according to online bookmaker Bovada.
Ruff was fired by the Sabres in February. He’d been the head coach in Buffalo since July 21, 1997. Four times Ruff took the Sabres to the conference finals. He led them to the Stanley Cup finals in 1999, where they fell to the Dallas Stars in six games.
Ruff is no pushover, but he’s considered less combative than John Tortorella, who was fired by the Rangers this week. It’s been reported that “multiple” New York players pushed for Tortorella’s dismissal.
Whoever ends up with the job, Rangers general manager Glen Sather has said he wants his new coach hired in time for the June 30 draft.
Here are the rest of the candidates, according to Bovada:
Alain Vigneault 7/2
Mark Messier 7/2
Dave Tippett 11/2
Dallas Eakins 7/1
Mike Keenan 15/2
Paul Maurice 8/1
Marc Crawford 17/2
Guy Boucher 15/1
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)