May 30, 2013, 11:11 AM EST
Yesterday on a conference call with reporters, Rangers general manager Glen Sather admitted his explanation for firing head coach John Tortorella may seem “a little vague.”
Today, we wonder if Sather had good reason to avoid getting into specifics.
According to a Daily News source, “multiple players,” including some “top guys,” pushed for Tortorella’s dismissal after the Rangers were eliminated by the Bruins.
Presumably, the lobbying occurred in the players’ exit interviews.
The report didn’t specify which players wanted the combative coach gone, but it does make one wonder if Sean Avery was on to something back in March when the former Ranger tweeted, “Fire this CLOWN, his players hate him and wont play for his BS.”
It also may lend credence to the report by Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman that goalie Henrik Lundqvist‘s noncommittal response to a question about re-signing in New York was a factor in Tortorella’s firing.
Frankly, it’s not hard to come up with players that may have had a problem with Tortorella. Brad Richards for getting scratched in Games 4 and 5 of the Boston series. Carl Hagelin for hearing over and over that he “stinks” on the power play. The list goes on and on.
“Every coach has a shelf life,” Sather said.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)