May 30, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
Yesterday on a conference call with reporters, Rangers general manager Glen Sather admitted his explanation for firing head coach John Tortorella may seem “a little vague.”
Today, we wonder if Sather had good reason to avoid getting into specifics.
According to a Daily News source, “multiple players,” including some “top guys,” pushed for Tortorella’s dismissal after the Rangers were eliminated by the Bruins.
Presumably, the lobbying occurred in the players’ exit interviews.
The report didn’t specify which players wanted the combative coach gone, but it does make one wonder if Sean Avery was on to something back in March when the former Ranger tweeted, “Fire this CLOWN, his players hate him and wont play for his BS.”
It also may lend credence to the report by Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman that goalie Henrik Lundqvist‘s noncommittal response to a question about re-signing in New York was a factor in Tortorella’s firing.
Frankly, it’s not hard to come up with players that may have had a problem with Tortorella. Brad Richards for getting scratched in Games 4 and 5 of the Boston series. Carl Hagelin for hearing over and over that he “stinks” on the power play. The list goes on and on.
“Every coach has a shelf life,” Sather said.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)