May 31, 2013, 2:54 PM EST
There had been talk that Datsyuk would play out his career in Russia after his contract with the Wings expired after the 2013-14 season.
Datsyuk, 34, had three goals and six assists in 14 playoff games, helping the Wings push the favored Blackhawks to overtime of Game 7 in the Western Conference semifinals.
Now that Datsyuk has said he wants to remain in Detroit, the question becomes, what should his new contract look like? Currently, his cap hit is $6.7 million.
You can probably expect a higher number than that for his new deal.
A lot of it will depend on term. Apparently, Datsyuk still wants to finish his career in Russia; he’s just not ready to go there after next season.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 20
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5