May 31, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
There had been talk that Datsyuk would play out his career in Russia after his contract with the Wings expired after the 2013-14 season.
Datsyuk, 34, had three goals and six assists in 14 playoff games, helping the Wings push the favored Blackhawks to overtime of Game 7 in the Western Conference semifinals.
Now that Datsyuk has said he wants to remain in Detroit, the question becomes, what should his new contract look like? Currently, his cap hit is $6.7 million.
You can probably expect a higher number than that for his new deal.
A lot of it will depend on term. Apparently, Datsyuk still wants to finish his career in Russia; he’s just not ready to go there after next season.
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 5
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12