May 31, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
There had been talk that Datsyuk would play out his career in Russia after his contract with the Wings expired after the 2013-14 season.
Datsyuk, 34, had three goals and six assists in 14 playoff games, helping the Wings push the favored Blackhawks to overtime of Game 7 in the Western Conference semifinals.
Now that Datsyuk has said he wants to remain in Detroit, the question becomes, what should his new contract look like? Currently, his cap hit is $6.7 million.
You can probably expect a higher number than that for his new deal.
A lot of it will depend on term. Apparently, Datsyuk still wants to finish his career in Russia; he’s just not ready to go there after next season.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)