May 24, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Red Wings star Pavel Datsyuk has decided where he wants to play when his NHL contract expires after next season.
He’s just not making that decision public.
Also: Via Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov, Datsyuk’s agent, Gary Greenstin, told SovSport.ru that, despite Russian media reports, the 34-year-old winger had not reached an agreement with Ak Bars to join the club for the 2014-15 season.
Because that would be against the rules.
Rumors of Datsyuk returning to Russia to finish his playing career are nothing new. He played for CSKA Moscow during the lockout, and clearly he enjoyed his time in his home country. When the work stoppage ended in January, he professed his desire to stay in the KHL until the end of the season.
Datsyuk has already won two Stanley Cups and made a pile of money in the NHL. And if he chose to play out his career in the KHL, there’s plenty more money to be made over there.
Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said in March that he has plans to sit down with Datsyuk once the season is done.
“We’ll talk before he goes home sometime in June, but anything beyond that is speculation and rumors,” Holland said. “Nobody’s told me anything. They haven’t told me they’re staying or going. I haven’t asked either. We hope he wants to stay, but I’m certainly aware there’s a professional league in Russia and they pay their players well. Beyond that, I don’t know.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)