May 27, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
Michael Frolik made it look easy and made no mistake.
Awarded a penalty shot in the third period of Monday’s Game 6 between the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings, Frolik beat goalie Jimmy Howard over the glove and top corner with a nifty forehand-backhand move.
The goal gave the Blackhawks a 4-2 lead. This, after they entered the third period down 2-1, and needing a win to extend the series to seven games. The Blackhawks put up three goals in the third period, with Frolik’s counting as the winner in a 4-3 victory.
The Blackhawks, Presidents’ Trophy winners, and the Red Wings will now play in a Game 7, with the winner facing the team that emerges victorious in the L.A. Kings-San Jose Sharks series. According to the Blackhawks’ Twitter account, Frolik becomes the first NHL player to score two playoff penalty shot goals.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)