May 27, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
Michael Frolik made it look easy and made no mistake.
Awarded a penalty shot in the third period of Monday’s Game 6 between the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings, Frolik beat goalie Jimmy Howard over the glove and top corner with a nifty forehand-backhand move.
The goal gave the Blackhawks a 4-2 lead. This, after they entered the third period down 2-1, and needing a win to extend the series to seven games. The Blackhawks put up three goals in the third period, with Frolik’s counting as the winner in a 4-3 victory.
The Blackhawks, Presidents’ Trophy winners, and the Red Wings will now play in a Game 7, with the winner facing the team that emerges victorious in the L.A. Kings-San Jose Sharks series. According to the Blackhawks’ Twitter account, Frolik becomes the first NHL player to score two playoff penalty shot goals.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 6
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)