May 23, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks re-wrote some NHL records with a points streak during the regular season. Now they need to defy the odds by winning three straight games against the Detroit Red Wings in their second-round series.
“Definitely,” Crawford said. “We’ve had streaks before.”
The 28-year-old netminder knows from experience.
He rode that hot streak with Ray Emery during the season and was often brilliant when the Blackhawks nearly stormed back from a 3-0 series deficit against the Vancouver Canucks in a first-round series from the 2011 playoffs.
On the other hand, some will note that the Blackhawks haven’t advanced to the conference finals since they won the Stanley Cup in 2010 and that the franchise hasn’t beaten the Red Wings in a playoff series since 1992, so history isn’t totally on their side.
Still, it might be uplifting to hear the No. 1 goalie’s optimism with their captain seething in a big way.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)