May 23, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Jonathan Toews‘ lost his cool in a big way in Game 4 of the Chicago Blackhawks’ eventual 2-0 loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday.
It’s bad enough that the much-touted captain remains without a goal in nine postseason games after racking up 23 in the abbreviated 2013 season, but his anger hurt his team, as he took three consecutive penalties in the second period. One of those power plays ended up dooming his punch-less squad.
Toews, two minutes (hooking) – 5:20 into the second period
Toews, two minutes (high-sticking) – 8:04 into the second period
Toews, two minutes (high-sticking) – 10:54 into the second period
Want video of his parade to the box? Here it is:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Jakub Kindl scored the game-winner at the tail-end of Toews’ second penalty, turning the knife a little deeper.
Still, it likely all stems from the 25-year-old’s lack of scoring. Despite firing 31 shots on goal, he still remains without his first tally of the 2013 postseason. He’s not racking up assists, either, as he has just three overall and one in this second-round series against Detroit.
His team isn’t scoring as a whole, but pundits often target a team’s most prominent player when things go wrong. Maybe that – and Detroit’s tight checking – explains why Toews is seething.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)