May 23, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Jonathan Toews‘ lost his cool in a big way in Game 4 of the Chicago Blackhawks’ eventual 2-0 loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday.
It’s bad enough that the much-touted captain remains without a goal in nine postseason games after racking up 23 in the abbreviated 2013 season, but his anger hurt his team, as he took three consecutive penalties in the second period. One of those power plays ended up dooming his punch-less squad.
Toews, two minutes (hooking) – 5:20 into the second period
Toews, two minutes (high-sticking) – 8:04 into the second period
Toews, two minutes (high-sticking) – 10:54 into the second period
Want video of his parade to the box? Here it is:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Jakub Kindl scored the game-winner at the tail-end of Toews’ second penalty, turning the knife a little deeper.
Still, it likely all stems from the 25-year-old’s lack of scoring. Despite firing 31 shots on goal, he still remains without his first tally of the 2013 postseason. He’s not racking up assists, either, as he has just three overall and one in this second-round series against Detroit.
His team isn’t scoring as a whole, but pundits often target a team’s most prominent player when things go wrong. Maybe that – and Detroit’s tight checking – explains why Toews is seething.
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 1
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 47
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)