May 23, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Jonathan Toews‘ lost his cool in a big way in Game 4 of the Chicago Blackhawks’ eventual 2-0 loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday.
It’s bad enough that the much-touted captain remains without a goal in nine postseason games after racking up 23 in the abbreviated 2013 season, but his anger hurt his team, as he took three consecutive penalties in the second period. One of those power plays ended up dooming his punch-less squad.
Toews, two minutes (hooking) – 5:20 into the second period
Toews, two minutes (high-sticking) – 8:04 into the second period
Toews, two minutes (high-sticking) – 10:54 into the second period
Want video of his parade to the box? Here it is:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Jakub Kindl scored the game-winner at the tail-end of Toews’ second penalty, turning the knife a little deeper.
Still, it likely all stems from the 25-year-old’s lack of scoring. Despite firing 31 shots on goal, he still remains without his first tally of the 2013 postseason. He’s not racking up assists, either, as he has just three overall and one in this second-round series against Detroit.
His team isn’t scoring as a whole, but pundits often target a team’s most prominent player when things go wrong. Maybe that – and Detroit’s tight checking – explains why Toews is seething.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)