May 23, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Jonathan Toews‘ lost his cool in a big way in Game 4 of the Chicago Blackhawks’ eventual 2-0 loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday.
It’s bad enough that the much-touted captain remains without a goal in nine postseason games after racking up 23 in the abbreviated 2013 season, but his anger hurt his team, as he took three consecutive penalties in the second period. One of those power plays ended up dooming his punch-less squad.
Toews, two minutes (hooking) – 5:20 into the second period
Toews, two minutes (high-sticking) – 8:04 into the second period
Toews, two minutes (high-sticking) – 10:54 into the second period
Want video of his parade to the box? Here it is:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Jakub Kindl scored the game-winner at the tail-end of Toews’ second penalty, turning the knife a little deeper.
Still, it likely all stems from the 25-year-old’s lack of scoring. Despite firing 31 shots on goal, he still remains without his first tally of the 2013 postseason. He’s not racking up assists, either, as he has just three overall and one in this second-round series against Detroit.
His team isn’t scoring as a whole, but pundits often target a team’s most prominent player when things go wrong. Maybe that – and Detroit’s tight checking – explains why Toews is seething.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)