May 23, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Jonathan Toews‘ lost his cool in a big way in Game 4 of the Chicago Blackhawks’ eventual 2-0 loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday.
It’s bad enough that the much-touted captain remains without a goal in nine postseason games after racking up 23 in the abbreviated 2013 season, but his anger hurt his team, as he took three consecutive penalties in the second period. One of those power plays ended up dooming his punch-less squad.
Toews, two minutes (hooking) – 5:20 into the second period
Toews, two minutes (high-sticking) – 8:04 into the second period
Toews, two minutes (high-sticking) – 10:54 into the second period
Want video of his parade to the box? Here it is:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Jakub Kindl scored the game-winner at the tail-end of Toews’ second penalty, turning the knife a little deeper.
Still, it likely all stems from the 25-year-old’s lack of scoring. Despite firing 31 shots on goal, he still remains without his first tally of the 2013 postseason. He’s not racking up assists, either, as he has just three overall and one in this second-round series against Detroit.
His team isn’t scoring as a whole, but pundits often target a team’s most prominent player when things go wrong. Maybe that – and Detroit’s tight checking – explains why Toews is seething.
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 0
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 25
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 69
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 57
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (69)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (57)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)