May 17, 2013, 12:39 PM EST
If you’re curious about the specifics of the injury — or whether the Caps should have allowed an injured Ovechkin to represent Russia in the World Championships — here’s Dr. Benjamin Shaffer, the team’s physician, providing an update for CSN Washington:
So it sounds like there was no significant risk in letting him play.
According to Shaffer, Ovechkin will be “immobilized” and wearing a fracture boot for a period of four weeks.
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 2
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 24
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16