May 17, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
If you’re curious about the specifics of the injury — or whether the Caps should have allowed an injured Ovechkin to represent Russia in the World Championships — here’s Dr. Benjamin Shaffer, the team’s physician, providing an update for CSN Washington:
So it sounds like there was no significant risk in letting him play.
According to Shaffer, Ovechkin will be “immobilized” and wearing a fracture boot for a period of four weeks.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 0
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 6
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 32
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 107
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7