May 17, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
If you’re curious about the specifics of the injury — or whether the Caps should have allowed an injured Ovechkin to represent Russia in the World Championships — here’s Dr. Benjamin Shaffer, the team’s physician, providing an update for CSN Washington:
So it sounds like there was no significant risk in letting him play.
According to Shaffer, Ovechkin will be “immobilized” and wearing a fracture boot for a period of four weeks.
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 0
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 9
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 11
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4