Lundqvist vents frustration after OT loss

May 17, 2013, 9:48 AM EST

BOSTON, MA - MAY 16: Brad Marchand #63 of the Boston Bruins scores in overtime against Henrik Lundqvist #30 of the New York Rangers in Game One of the Eastern Conference Semifinals during the 2013 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at TD Garden on May 16, 2013 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Steve Babineau/NHLI via Getty Images) Getty Images

The New York Rangers made it to the second round largely thanks to goaltender Henrik Lundqvist‘s efforts. He didn’t do it alone, but he was by far their best player with shutouts in Games 6 and 7 against the Washington Capitals.

In their second-round opener versus Boston, Lundqvist managed 45 saves, but the Rangers still suffered a 3-2 overtime loss.

If there’s one area that the 31-year-old netminder has fallen short in during his career, it’s been in playoff overtime games and it looks this time, it got to him.

“I’ve got to be really careful to ask myself the right question there,” Lundqvist said, according to the New York Daily News. “Because have I played bad in overtime? No. Can I score? No. Is it frustrating? Yes. It was terrible in overtime, but I’ve just got to stick with it, play my game and hopefully it will turn around.”

To be clear, Lundqvist doesn’t mean to imply that he was perfect or blameless for last night’s defeat. In fact, he put Brad Marchand‘s game-winning goal on himself.

“I thought I made a bad decision,” Lundqvist told NHL.com. “I was too focused on the puck. I kind of knew (Marchand) was coming in the middle, but I was just too locked in on the puck.”

You can watch Marchand’s winner below:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Related:

Tortorella admits Rangers got ‘spanked’ in OT

1. kissmytaintpatriotsrule - May 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Boohoo what a cry baby, typical New Yorker.

• comeonnowguys - May 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM

What a classless response, typical Bostonian.

• tfaltin - May 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM

He’s the equivalent of the Toronto Stronger d-bag.

• sabatimus - May 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Do all three of you realize you’re playing the same card? (with the possible exception of tfaltin…we don’t know that that d-bag was from Toronto, but it’s likely the case.)

• kissmytaintpatriotsrule - May 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Boo hoo now we got another one crying about a comment on the Internet. Just keep proving my point.

• comeonnowguys - May 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Actually, that was exactly my point. I was playing the same card.

Doesn’t hurt that taint keeps proving my point for me.

2. jb8383 - May 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM

you’re part of a team you cannot single yourself out like that. yeah he took blame for the goal but was pretty much calling out his teammates for not scoring like he’s better than they are. maybe torts’ whiny attitude is rubbing off on him. Marty can score, haha.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM

A lot of goalies are like this, a LOT, at every level. They are on their own island and it’s part of the reason nobody (-1) gives them the “C”.

• hockeyflow33 - May 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Huh?

I always enjoy that hockey attracts new fans but do you understand what the Captaincy designates? Goalies are not allowed to have them.

• ron05342 - May 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM

@hockeyflow33

Roberto Luongo says hello.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM

he’s the -1 in case you didn’t realize

3. jkay1818 - May 17, 2013 at 10:21 AM

You left off his last sentence in that quote:

he talks about himself and not his teammates and playing his game.

Also, he was asked a question, it wasn’t like he called someone over and said “can i talk to you for a minute? i have to be really careful to ask myself the right question”

he was replying to reporters, nothing to see here.

• 950003cups - May 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM

“It was terrible in overtime, but I’ve just got to stick with it, play my game and hopefully it will turn around.”

That was worse than calling his team out for not scoring. Lundqvist basically says there “If I stand on my head again, I’ll carry then to a win on my back whether they like it or not”

4. govtminion - May 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM

He has no reason to be upset at himself- he played a good game. So did his team, though- that one could have gone either direction. The shot totals in OT are pretty lopsided, but the Bruins did have a power play in there to skew things slightly.

Not that I’m complaining- my team is up 1-0 in the series, after all. But I don’t see why Lundqvist is upset here- it’s not like they put up a ‘Capitals in Game 7′ kind of effort, after all.

• jpelle82 - May 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

i dont get it either, they got dominated in ot and were lucky it even went to ot. only thing lundquist should be saying is how lucky he got with all the shots off the post. i counted at least 5 times he got beat and the post bailed him out.

• billyhauntswizards - May 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM

because it never ends with NYR. Lundqvist’s record in OT is like 2-11, that’s horrible, and it’s never his fault. Guy needs help, and were all sick of him not getting it. I don’t think he’d have been as mad if this wasn’t in OT, AGAIN.

5. savoirlaire - May 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM

He put Marchand’s goal on himself? That was an absolutely perfect play, Bergeron put it right on Marchand’s stick, perfect redirect. I don’t think a mutant hybrid of Plante, Worsley and Dryden could’ve stopped that. Only chance on that is for the D to keep it from developing…

• tfaltin - May 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM

His standards are a bit higher than the norm.

• jpelle82 - May 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM

bad play at the blueline, b’s had their 2 best guys on the break, rags had a forward trying to catch up and backcheck on marchand…the ot winner was about as excusable as it gets for a goalie.

• sabatimus - May 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Exactly. The 3 on 2 for the Rangers evaporated on a terrible pass that went behind the left winger, which led directly to numbers going the opposite way. Bergeron made a masterful pass and Marchand finished. I really don’t know how Henrik can blame himself on this one. Maybe he did so to try to soften the idea that he might have been throwing his team under the bus a bit in the rest of the interview.

Best thing to do? Leave it to Torts to throw the team under the bus :).

• DED - May 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I’m a Ranger fan and I agree. It was a beautiful set up by Bergeron over to Marchand. Textbook really.

Bruins totally outplayed the Rangers in OT. My fellow Ranger fans will probably beat me up for it, but with all the shots fired at the net in OT, it was just a matter of time. It was 16-5 in shots!

Look at it another way: Lundqvist stopped 93.75% of those OT shots (That was his save% for the game too). He’s a competitor. He expects perfection of himself and drives himself to be better. I’m sure Rask wouldn’t disagree and if it has been the Bruins that got outshot 16-5 he’d be frustrated too.

But it wasn’t, so time to move on and get ready for game 2.

6. prd797 - May 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Lundqvist should be upset. He was one of the main reasons (if not THE main reason) his underachieving teammates and coach are in second round, and the weight of that team probably won’t be off his shoulders any time this postseason.

That being said, venting to the media was probably not the best choice. Oh well.

7. tfaltin - May 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

He should be frustrated. Rangers are 4-4 in the postseason when 3 of the games have been lost in OT by scores of 2-1, 1-0, and 3-2. It’s not asking too much as a goalie to want two goals a game in 4 periods of play. If the forwards could have done that in Washington, they would have won in 5 and this teams workhorse could have gotten some important rest. Now the pressure is on Hank to play even better the rest of the series. Someone up front needs to bring what Hank brings to the rink every night. He’s only one man. Any one of the Rangers forwards could step up and be the difference on a given night.

8. kingme30 - May 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Hank is a competitor, and the fact that the Rangers are 0-3 in OT this year (and have not had a good record in previous playoff stints) is why he is frustrated. Personally, I think its just some bad luck…not to mention we got outplayed in OT.

This series is going to be VERY tight, and anyone who has watched Ranger/Bruins games for the past 5 years knows how low scoring and close they can be. There should be a couple of more OT games in this series, so Hank and the boys will have their chance to redeem themselves. LGR!

• tfaltin - May 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Hank’s the victim of coaching philosophies imo, especially in playoff overtime. The Rangers just pack it in and ask him to make saves, as if they don’t realize there’s no shootout they can get to (where Hank also has to make 3 saves). They need a killer instinct. They need to say, one goal, one win, and get it done. The fact that they have Lundqvist back there in net should allow you to take a risk if there’s a possiblity of winning the game for him. Safe to say they haven’t found it this overtime.

• johnstone17 - May 18, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Not only that, but the coach shortens his bench in regulation so if it does come to overtime they are gassed.

9. 8man - May 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM

He kept the Rangers in it. He faced a lot of shots. I had no idea until last night that pucks that hit the post are NOT counted as shots on goal.

10. selldannysell - May 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I thought he was going to blame the refs!

11. malkamania71 - May 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I mean.. technically he can score..

12. banger60 - May 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM

where is NASH?

13. banger60 - May 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Only -1?

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches