Tortorella admits Rangers got ‘spanked’ in OT

May 16, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT

tortsandrangersgetty Getty Images

New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella said that his team matched up pretty well against the Boston Bruins in Game 1 … until everything unraveled in overtime.

“I thought it was pretty even going into overtime, but we got spanked in overtime,” Tortorella said.

It’s pretty hard to argue with that logic, even if you just notice the Bruins’ 16-5 shot advantage when things went into sudden death mode.

Brad Marchand ended up scoring the OT winner to finish it up 3-2, but the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross reports that Tortorella believes things really fell apart when the Bruins produced a flurry of chances on an OT power-play opportunity.

“We never regrouped,” Tortorella said. “It was a surge, we couldn’t stop it.”

The Rangers hope for better results against the Bruins in Game 2 on Sunday.

1. pastabelly - May 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM

The Rangers got spanked the whole game. They were just lucky the Bruins hit so many posts and crossbars.

• blockedshotnyr - May 16, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Yeah when a game has lead changes, a roughly equal shot total and no real overwhelmingly great scoring chances in regulation, the game is totally lopsided.

Extremely intelligent thought, my friend, please enlighten us some more on your views of the game… Perhaps you can wax poetic about the Boston fourth line and trifecta of rookie defensemen excellence like the NBC announce team.

• blockedshotnyr - May 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM

To qualify – by game I meant regulation – in OT the Rangers did what they always do… Play for the shootout… Bthey Agee obviously unaware there I none in he playoffs.

• nepatriots128154 - May 17, 2013 at 12:30 AM

you mad bud?

• fantasyhockeyguru - May 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I absolutely loathe the Rangers, but to say they got spanked the whole game is asinine. The Rangers simply did what they have done all year, come out as a “period team”. 1st period they looked very flat and on their heels. They got that late 1st period goal that sparked them. 2nd period they looked energized, but still not quite peaked. In the 3rd period they looked very good, and both goaltenders had to stand on their heads to force OT. OT, the Rangers came out like they did in the 1st period, very flat. The PP for the Bruins didn’t help them, but they never regained any momentum. They had 2 or 3 counter-attacks where they tried to do too much and never got a quality shot off, just dumping pucks at the net. They were not “spanked the whole game”

2. pastabelly - May 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Give it a rest. The Rangers were lucky the Bruins hit so many posts.

• tfaltin - May 17, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Because Del Zotto didn’t hit the post at the other end for a what-would-have-been lead. Shots hti the post, get over it. Don’t turn into Capitals fans. The Bruins were the better team in the extra period and won, thats it.

• blackfoot11 - May 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Here we go generalizing the Caps fan base to prove your point. Deal with Bruins fan straight up and quit your whining. You are in a different series now.

• tfaltin - May 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Only a select few people out there can constrew phrases like “get over it” and “the Bruins were the better team and won” as whining. Congrats, you’re one of them.

Because I wasn’t direct enough, I am a Rangers fan saying that the Bruins were the better team and won the game they deserved to win. Posts were a non-factor. Get over it.

• blackfoot11 - May 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM

My problem with your comment is the blanket generalization of a fan base. You have certain fans of every team that complain or whine about events inconsequential to the outcome of the game. As a Caps fan, I did not complain about why my team didn’t win or score.

3. equator180 - May 17, 2013 at 6:09 AM

Are you completely blind? From my view (and I do not include either of these two teams as my favorite) the Bruins didn’t spank you in overtime, the beat the jell out of you all game. You guys were throwing the puck away as soon as they saw a Bruin coming and were cowered constantly. The rangers need to grow some kahunas and start playing!

• thesableo - May 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I think the Rangers get outplayed like that a lot, which is why their fans don’t see it as one-sided. When you have a Lundqvist, you can win games that you get outplayed in, and they do win a lot of those games.
      To clarify: I’m mostly talking about their forwards. Rangers de are great.

4. capsfan19 - May 17, 2013 at 6:14 AM

Run em into the ground b’s.

5. ironyisadeadscene - May 17, 2013 at 6:26 AM

As a Bruins fan, and maybe i’m just jaded, but the entire game was back and forth. Didn’t see one team dominating the game as a whole, but each team had stretches where they were pressuring the other team. I couldn’t sit back and enjoy the game at any point. Too anxious.

Until Marchand…

6. jimw81 - May 17, 2013 at 7:17 AM

King Henry once again proved last night why he’s a top 3 goalie in this league. i feel bad for him he doesnt have a exciting offense in front of him.

• thesableo - May 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM

That was one of the weaker games I’ve seen out of him actually.

7. acuratech348 - May 17, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I agree, as a bruins fan both teams seemed fairly evenly matched. Both teams have similar playing styles, grind out, hard hitting hockey. Going into OT It could have been anyone’s game. I think It was that flurry of power play shots in OT that seemed to turn the tides. Should be another nail biter for game 2 can’t wait!

8. myroncopesflask - May 17, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Looking forward to seeing which of these teams survive to be the sacrificial lamb for the Pens in the E.C.F. Hope it’s the Bruins so I can watch Milbury smoke the the Bruins poles all series just to watch him eat his words when the Pens beat their brains in.

9. govtminion - May 17, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Shot totals aside, it could have gone either way- in which case we’d all be talking this morning about how the Bruins hammered away in OT but still couldn’t get the job done. One of those shots found its way past Henrik, fortunately, but other than the OT shot totals I never really felt like either team had a big stranglehold over the other- this game could have gone either way easily. And that’s how it should be- we’re in for a fun series here.

10. hockeyfan763 - May 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

If you watched this game and didn’t think it was pretty evenly played thru regulation then please stop posting on these articles and go over to the Pittsburgh rose color glasses thread. Boston dominated OT but it was even up until then. I don’t have any time for idiot banter, this is playoff time. Please bring your coherent insight and opinions only please.

• savoirlaire - May 17, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Absolutely right, I am a B’s fan and was on edge all game, no doubt this was even all the way until the OT PP. Bruins hit some pipes, sure, but dem’s da breaks. Great game to watch, though, once they opened up a bit after a feeling out period. Fun to watch guys like Lundqvist and Chara who are at the top of their games…

• dropthepuckeh - May 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Agreed. That game was anyone’s to win. I was surprised how tired the Rangers looked. I kept expecting them to find another gear but never saw it. You have to imagine we are going to see six-seven of these one goal games.

I’ll take Tukka over the “king”. The king looked very beatable.

• thesableo - May 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I read this in Tortorella’s voice.

11. billyhauntswizards - May 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM

If you’re trying to justify the bruins outplaying the rangers by “posts hit”, just stop. If the Nash didn’t hit the post in game 2 we’d have won that game. They don’t matter, they’re not goals. That being said, it’s getting SO old seeing the rangers die like fish out of water in OT.

12. cliverush - May 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Great game and a good match up for hockey fans. The Rangers are fearless diving in front of pucks and the B’s are hitting on all four lines. Lunquist had a tough game on some odd shots but the difference in the method of the Bruins attack may have worn him down. The penalties and non calls are always a part of the game. The NBC crew was awful. Where is Doc?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches