May 17, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Marc-Edouard Vlasic‘s costly and controversial delay-of-game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass last night in Los Angeles has Sidney Crosby wondering if the NHL should make those calls video reviewable.
“I think we all cringe when we see one of those as a player,” the Penguins’ captain said today, per ESPN.
“I think a play like that maybe should be reviewable. It shouldn’t take that long. It obviously has a huge importance in a game. Should be able to see it pretty clear on a video review if that did clearly go over or hit a stick. I’ve seen a couple of those throughout the playoffs.”
We’re not sure if the call on Vlasic would’ve been overturned anyway, but if there’s one penalty that could be reviewable — if only because referees have no leeway when calling it — it’s the one for shooting the puck over the glass.
Whether that would open up a whole new can of worms — what about controversial offside calls? what about…? — is debatable.
So feel free to debate.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 21
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day on PHT 11