May 17, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Marc-Edouard Vlasic‘s costly and controversial delay-of-game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass last night in Los Angeles has Sidney Crosby wondering if the NHL should make those calls video reviewable.
“I think we all cringe when we see one of those as a player,” the Penguins’ captain said today, per ESPN.
“I think a play like that maybe should be reviewable. It shouldn’t take that long. It obviously has a huge importance in a game. Should be able to see it pretty clear on a video review if that did clearly go over or hit a stick. I’ve seen a couple of those throughout the playoffs.”
We’re not sure if the call on Vlasic would’ve been overturned anyway, but if there’s one penalty that could be reviewable — if only because referees have no leeway when calling it — it’s the one for shooting the puck over the glass.
Whether that would open up a whole new can of worms — what about controversial offside calls? what about…? — is debatable.
So feel free to debate.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)