May 17, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Marc-Edouard Vlasic‘s costly and controversial delay-of-game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass last night in Los Angeles has Sidney Crosby wondering if the NHL should make those calls video reviewable.
“I think we all cringe when we see one of those as a player,” the Penguins’ captain said today, per ESPN.
“I think a play like that maybe should be reviewable. It shouldn’t take that long. It obviously has a huge importance in a game. Should be able to see it pretty clear on a video review if that did clearly go over or hit a stick. I’ve seen a couple of those throughout the playoffs.”
We’re not sure if the call on Vlasic would’ve been overturned anyway, but if there’s one penalty that could be reviewable — if only because referees have no leeway when calling it — it’s the one for shooting the puck over the glass.
Whether that would open up a whole new can of worms — what about controversial offside calls? what about…? — is debatable.
So feel free to debate.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)