May 17, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Marc-Edouard Vlasic‘s costly and controversial delay-of-game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass last night in Los Angeles has Sidney Crosby wondering if the NHL should make those calls video reviewable.
“I think we all cringe when we see one of those as a player,” the Penguins’ captain said today, per ESPN.
“I think a play like that maybe should be reviewable. It shouldn’t take that long. It obviously has a huge importance in a game. Should be able to see it pretty clear on a video review if that did clearly go over or hit a stick. I’ve seen a couple of those throughout the playoffs.”
We’re not sure if the call on Vlasic would’ve been overturned anyway, but if there’s one penalty that could be reviewable — if only because referees have no leeway when calling it — it’s the one for shooting the puck over the glass.
Whether that would open up a whole new can of worms — what about controversial offside calls? what about…? — is debatable.
So feel free to debate.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (96)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)