May 15, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
George McPhee doesn’t think there was a “league conspiracy,” against his team; however, the Capitals’ general manager did say today that “it didn’t feel right” when Washington didn’t get a single power play during Game 6 of its first-round series with the Rangers, who had the man advantage five times during that game.
New York won Game 6, 1-0, forcing a seventh-and-deciding contest at the Verizon Center, which the Rangers won easily, 5-0.
After Game 7, in a Russian-language interview, Caps captain Alex Ovechkin suggested the power-play differential in Game 6 was due to the NHL wanting the series to go the distance.
“Not saying there was a phone call, but they wanted Game 7,” he said, per Slava Malamud of Sport-Express. “For ratings. You know, lockout, escrow, league must make profit.”
Per the Washington Time’s Stephen Whyno, McPhee said he spoke to the league about the officiating during the series, but to no avail.
Meanwhile, it doesn’t sound like Rangers coach John Tortorella has much time for the Caps’ complaints.
“We’ve got everybody and their brother whining out there in Washington about what happened in that series,” said Tortorella, per Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News, “and I think that’s a big reason they lose that series.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)