May 15, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
George McPhee doesn’t think there was a “league conspiracy,” against his team; however, the Capitals’ general manager did say today that “it didn’t feel right” when Washington didn’t get a single power play during Game 6 of its first-round series with the Rangers, who had the man advantage five times during that game.
New York won Game 6, 1-0, forcing a seventh-and-deciding contest at the Verizon Center, which the Rangers won easily, 5-0.
After Game 7, in a Russian-language interview, Caps captain Alex Ovechkin suggested the power-play differential in Game 6 was due to the NHL wanting the series to go the distance.
“Not saying there was a phone call, but they wanted Game 7,” he said, per Slava Malamud of Sport-Express. “For ratings. You know, lockout, escrow, league must make profit.”
Per the Washington Time’s Stephen Whyno, McPhee said he spoke to the league about the officiating during the series, but to no avail.
Meanwhile, it doesn’t sound like Rangers coach John Tortorella has much time for the Caps’ complaints.
“We’ve got everybody and their brother whining out there in Washington about what happened in that series,” said Tortorella, per Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News, “and I think that’s a big reason they lose that series.”
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)