May 15, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
George McPhee doesn’t think there was a “league conspiracy,” against his team; however, the Capitals’ general manager did say today that “it didn’t feel right” when Washington didn’t get a single power play during Game 6 of its first-round series with the Rangers, who had the man advantage five times during that game.
New York won Game 6, 1-0, forcing a seventh-and-deciding contest at the Verizon Center, which the Rangers won easily, 5-0.
After Game 7, in a Russian-language interview, Caps captain Alex Ovechkin suggested the power-play differential in Game 6 was due to the NHL wanting the series to go the distance.
“Not saying there was a phone call, but they wanted Game 7,” he said, per Slava Malamud of Sport-Express. “For ratings. You know, lockout, escrow, league must make profit.”
Per the Washington Time’s Stephen Whyno, McPhee said he spoke to the league about the officiating during the series, but to no avail.
Meanwhile, it doesn’t sound like Rangers coach John Tortorella has much time for the Caps’ complaints.
“We’ve got everybody and their brother whining out there in Washington about what happened in that series,” said Tortorella, per Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News, “and I think that’s a big reason they lose that series.”
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 27
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 35
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)