May 14, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin will speak to the media at 2:15 p.m. ET today — not tomorrow afternoon like the rest of his teammates, along with coach Adam Oates and general manager George McPhee — so he can travel to the World Championships in Sweden and Finland and represent Russia.
Reporters will be sure to have plenty of questions for Ovechkin, especially after his comments following Washington’s elimination from the playoffs by the New York Rangers in seven games.
Last night, in a Russian-language interview, Ovechkin remarked on the fact the Capitals didn’t have a single power-play opportunity during Game 6, a 1-0 loss at Madison Square Garden on Sunday.
“Not saying there was a phone call, but they wanted Game 7,” he said, per Slava Malamud of Sport-Express. “For ratings. You know, lockout, escrow, league must make profit.”
Named a Hart Trophy finalist after leading the league with 32 goals during the regular season, Ovechkin finished the playoffs with just one goal and one assist, and had his defensive play called into question a couple of times.
Also worth noting that the 27-year-old was one of the more vocal critics of the NHL during the lockout.
Apparently, hard feelings remain.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)