May 9, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Washington has recalled Tom Wilson — the club’s first-round selection (16th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Hershey, along with veteran forward Joey Crabb.
The moves come the morning after winger Martin Erat suffered an apparent wrist injury during the Caps’ 4-3 loss to the Rangers on Wednesday night.
Erat, 31, tangled with Alex Ovechkin and Derek Stepan late in the first period and crashed to the ice, landing on his left arm.
He didn’t return to the contest.
If Erat can’t go for Game 5, head coach Adam Oates has some options available to him.
Aaron Volpatti and Wojtek Wolski were the healthy scratch forwards in Game 4, and Crabb could get into the mix considering he played 26 games with the Caps this season, scoring twice, and scored five goals in five postseason games with Hershey.
Wilson, though, could be the more intriguing addition.
The 6-foot-4, 210-pounder racked up 58 points in 48 games with OHL Plymouth this season, then scored 17 in 12 playoff games before joining the Bears for the Calder Cup playoffs (Hersey was eliminated on Wednesday night).
Wilson participated with the Caps in their abbreviated training camp prior to the season, thoroughly impressing Oates with his style of play.
“He looked great out there,” Oates told the Washington Times in January. “He skated great, he looked like one of the guys and sometimes I didn’t realize it was him.”
UPDATE: Oates has confirmed Erat will not play in Game 5.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 3
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 40
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)