May 9, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Washington has recalled Tom Wilson — the club’s first-round selection (16th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Hershey, along with veteran forward Joey Crabb.
The moves come the morning after winger Martin Erat suffered an apparent wrist injury during the Caps’ 4-3 loss to the Rangers on Wednesday night.
Erat, 31, tangled with Alex Ovechkin and Derek Stepan late in the first period and crashed to the ice, landing on his left arm.
He didn’t return to the contest.
If Erat can’t go for Game 5, head coach Adam Oates has some options available to him.
Aaron Volpatti and Wojtek Wolski were the healthy scratch forwards in Game 4, and Crabb could get into the mix considering he played 26 games with the Caps this season, scoring twice, and scored five goals in five postseason games with Hershey.
Wilson, though, could be the more intriguing addition.
The 6-foot-4, 210-pounder racked up 58 points in 48 games with OHL Plymouth this season, then scored 17 in 12 playoff games before joining the Bears for the Calder Cup playoffs (Hersey was eliminated on Wednesday night).
Wilson participated with the Caps in their abbreviated training camp prior to the season, thoroughly impressing Oates with his style of play.
“He looked great out there,” Oates told the Washington Times in January. “He skated great, he looked like one of the guys and sometimes I didn’t realize it was him.”
UPDATE: Oates has confirmed Erat will not play in Game 5.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22