May 9, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Washington has recalled Tom Wilson — the club’s first-round selection (16th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Hershey, along with veteran forward Joey Crabb.
The moves come the morning after winger Martin Erat suffered an apparent wrist injury during the Caps’ 4-3 loss to the Rangers on Wednesday night.
Erat, 31, tangled with Alex Ovechkin and Derek Stepan late in the first period and crashed to the ice, landing on his left arm.
He didn’t return to the contest.
If Erat can’t go for Game 5, head coach Adam Oates has some options available to him.
Aaron Volpatti and Wojtek Wolski were the healthy scratch forwards in Game 4, and Crabb could get into the mix considering he played 26 games with the Caps this season, scoring twice, and scored five goals in five postseason games with Hershey.
Wilson, though, could be the more intriguing addition.
The 6-foot-4, 210-pounder racked up 58 points in 48 games with OHL Plymouth this season, then scored 17 in 12 playoff games before joining the Bears for the Calder Cup playoffs (Hersey was eliminated on Wednesday night).
Wilson participated with the Caps in their abbreviated training camp prior to the season, thoroughly impressing Oates with his style of play.
“He looked great out there,” Oates told the Washington Times in January. “He skated great, he looked like one of the guys and sometimes I didn’t realize it was him.”
UPDATE: Oates has confirmed Erat will not play in Game 5.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)