May 9, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Washington has recalled Tom Wilson — the club’s first-round selection (16th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Hershey, along with veteran forward Joey Crabb.
The moves come the morning after winger Martin Erat suffered an apparent wrist injury during the Caps’ 4-3 loss to the Rangers on Wednesday night.
Erat, 31, tangled with Alex Ovechkin and Derek Stepan late in the first period and crashed to the ice, landing on his left arm.
He didn’t return to the contest.
If Erat can’t go for Game 5, head coach Adam Oates has some options available to him.
Aaron Volpatti and Wojtek Wolski were the healthy scratch forwards in Game 4, and Crabb could get into the mix considering he played 26 games with the Caps this season, scoring twice, and scored five goals in five postseason games with Hershey.
Wilson, though, could be the more intriguing addition.
The 6-foot-4, 210-pounder racked up 58 points in 48 games with OHL Plymouth this season, then scored 17 in 12 playoff games before joining the Bears for the Calder Cup playoffs (Hersey was eliminated on Wednesday night).
Wilson participated with the Caps in their abbreviated training camp prior to the season, thoroughly impressing Oates with his style of play.
“He looked great out there,” Oates told the Washington Times in January. “He skated great, he looked like one of the guys and sometimes I didn’t realize it was him.”
UPDATE: Oates has confirmed Erat will not play in Game 5.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)