May 9, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Washington has recalled Tom Wilson — the club’s first-round selection (16th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Hershey, along with veteran forward Joey Crabb.
The moves come the morning after winger Martin Erat suffered an apparent wrist injury during the Caps’ 4-3 loss to the Rangers on Wednesday night.
Erat, 31, tangled with Alex Ovechkin and Derek Stepan late in the first period and crashed to the ice, landing on his left arm.
He didn’t return to the contest.
If Erat can’t go for Game 5, head coach Adam Oates has some options available to him.
Aaron Volpatti and Wojtek Wolski were the healthy scratch forwards in Game 4, and Crabb could get into the mix considering he played 26 games with the Caps this season, scoring twice, and scored five goals in five postseason games with Hershey.
Wilson, though, could be the more intriguing addition.
The 6-foot-4, 210-pounder racked up 58 points in 48 games with OHL Plymouth this season, then scored 17 in 12 playoff games before joining the Bears for the Calder Cup playoffs (Hersey was eliminated on Wednesday night).
Wilson participated with the Caps in their abbreviated training camp prior to the season, thoroughly impressing Oates with his style of play.
“He looked great out there,” Oates told the Washington Times in January. “He skated great, he looked like one of the guys and sometimes I didn’t realize it was him.”
UPDATE: Oates has confirmed Erat will not play in Game 5.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 4
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)