May 5, 2013, 2:12 PM EST
The Presidents’ Trophy-winning Chicago Blackhawks have a 2-0 series lead over the Minnesota Wild going into this afternoon’s contest (3:00 p.m. ET, NBC). Wild coach Mike Yeo didn’t shy away from the fact that his team is “desperate,” according to the Star Tribune.
Yeo wants to see the Wild play an intense game and in order to do that, they need to hate the Blackhawks.
“There’s no question that I really believe that to be successful, there has to be a level of hatred for the team that you’re playing against,” Yeo said. “It shouldn’t be hard for us. They’re trying to take away something from us.”
In particular, Yeo wants to see Minnesota play a more physical game against Chicago’s key defensemen.
“You look back at the game and we have opportunities to finish checks on a guy like [Duncan] Keith and we’re not taking those opportunities,” Yeo said. “We have to understand it’s more than just that play. It’s about investing in the series and making sure that every time they’re going to touch a puck that they know that you’re coming.”
Prior to the start of Sunday’s contest, Minnesota called up Mikael Granlund, Stephane Veilleux, and Jake Dowell.
It’s also worth noting that Josh Harding will make his third straight start in the playoffs.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)