May 5, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
The AHL Houston Aeros are no more after suffering a 7-0 loss to the Grand Rapids Griffins yesterday. The Minnesota Wild will move the franchise to Des Moines, Iowa for the 2013-14 campaign.
With Houston done and the Wild down 2-0 to the Chicago Blackhawks going into Game 3 this afternoon (3:00 p.m. ET, NBC), the Wild have decided to summon some reinforcements, according to the Star Tribune.
Forwards Mikael Granlund, Stephane Veilleux, and Jake Dowell were all recalled. It’s not clear if any of those three will play today.
Of them, 31-year-old Veilleux has the most experience after playing in 460 career NHL games. He had two assists and 15 penalty minutes in 22 games with Minnesota and Tampa Bay in 2011-12.
Granlund, 21, would be the most intriguing choice to put into the lineup. Unlike the other two players called up, Granlund has a ton of potential and is a serious offensive threat. At the same time, he had difficulty establishing himself in the NHL as a rookie this season, so he might not be ready for playoff hockey.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 3
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 16
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 18
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 50
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)