Apr 30, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
Nothing like a little bit of drama to start the playoffs. Chicago beat Minnesota 2-1 in overtime to take Game 1 of their first-round series thanks to a Bryan Bickell super deke-out goal that beat Josh Harding. Chicago avoids potential disaster by taking a 1-0 series lead.
Here are your Game 1 talking points:
- Who doesn’t love playoff overtime? This one just edged out the Blues-Kings game for first OT game of the playoffs.
- Josh Harding gets the sudden start thanks to Niklas Backstrom‘s injury.
- But seriously, how much did he stand on his head to keep the Hawks at bay?
- Power play? What’s that? Minnesota sure didn’t know what it was. Chicago sure knew though as their lone goal in regulation came on it.
- Marian Hossa looked like a man possessed at times out there. His power play goal snapshot was a beauty.
- After Harding’s stellar play, do the Wild stress out over Backstrom’s health for Game 2?
- If the Wild want to have an easier time of things, spending a bit more time in the Chicago end of the ice would help. Getting outshot 37-27 won’t cut it every game.
- How much do the Wild rely on Ryan Suter? He only had 41:08 time on ice tonight. That’s all.
- Minnesota didn’t have much offense, but Jason Zucker impressed with his effort.
- Anyone seen Zach Parise? Anyone? Bueller?
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)