Apr 30, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
The series hasn’t even started for the Minnesota Wild and they’re already fighting an uphill battle in warmups.
Starting goalie Niklas Backstrom went down during pregame warmups after taking a shot and stretching to his right to follow up on it. He stayed down on the ice and needed help to get back to the bench.
That means backup Josh Harding will get the start tonight and the last time he started came against Chicago on January 30. He was pulled after playing just 6:45 of the game and allowed two goals on four shots. Last we saw of Harding after that came in Minnesota’s 6-1 loss to Edmonton last week when he replaced Backstrom allowing three goals on 12 shots in relief.
Harding is playing tonight as if it was a high-wire act and going without a backup of his own.
Update: Our NBCSN cameras caught what happened to send Backstrom out of tonight’s game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)