Apr 30, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
The series hasn’t even started for the Minnesota Wild and they’re already fighting an uphill battle in warmups.
Starting goalie Niklas Backstrom went down during pregame warmups after taking a shot and stretching to his right to follow up on it. He stayed down on the ice and needed help to get back to the bench.
That means backup Josh Harding will get the start tonight and the last time he started came against Chicago on January 30. He was pulled after playing just 6:45 of the game and allowed two goals on four shots. Last we saw of Harding after that came in Minnesota’s 6-1 loss to Edmonton last week when he replaced Backstrom allowing three goals on 12 shots in relief.
Harding is playing tonight as if it was a high-wire act and going without a backup of his own.
Update: Our NBCSN cameras caught what happened to send Backstrom out of tonight’s game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 19
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5