Apr 30, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
The series hasn’t even started for the Minnesota Wild and they’re already fighting an uphill battle in warmups.
Starting goalie Niklas Backstrom went down during pregame warmups after taking a shot and stretching to his right to follow up on it. He stayed down on the ice and needed help to get back to the bench.
That means backup Josh Harding will get the start tonight and the last time he started came against Chicago on January 30. He was pulled after playing just 6:45 of the game and allowed two goals on four shots. Last we saw of Harding after that came in Minnesota’s 6-1 loss to Edmonton last week when he replaced Backstrom allowing three goals on 12 shots in relief.
Harding is playing tonight as if it was a high-wire act and going without a backup of his own.
Update: Our NBCSN cameras caught what happened to send Backstrom out of tonight’s game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34