Apr 30, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
The series hasn’t even started for the Minnesota Wild and they’re already fighting an uphill battle in warmups.
Starting goalie Niklas Backstrom went down during pregame warmups after taking a shot and stretching to his right to follow up on it. He stayed down on the ice and needed help to get back to the bench.
That means backup Josh Harding will get the start tonight and the last time he started came against Chicago on January 30. He was pulled after playing just 6:45 of the game and allowed two goals on four shots. Last we saw of Harding after that came in Minnesota’s 6-1 loss to Edmonton last week when he replaced Backstrom allowing three goals on 12 shots in relief.
Harding is playing tonight as if it was a high-wire act and going without a backup of his own.
Update: Our NBCSN cameras caught what happened to send Backstrom out of tonight’s game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)