Apr 30, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
The series hasn’t even started for the Minnesota Wild and they’re already fighting an uphill battle in warmups.
Starting goalie Niklas Backstrom went down during pregame warmups after taking a shot and stretching to his right to follow up on it. He stayed down on the ice and needed help to get back to the bench.
That means backup Josh Harding will get the start tonight and the last time he started came against Chicago on January 30. He was pulled after playing just 6:45 of the game and allowed two goals on four shots. Last we saw of Harding after that came in Minnesota’s 6-1 loss to Edmonton last week when he replaced Backstrom allowing three goals on 12 shots in relief.
Harding is playing tonight as if it was a high-wire act and going without a backup of his own.
Update: Our NBCSN cameras caught what happened to send Backstrom out of tonight’s game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 8
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 8
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 5
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 14
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 46
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 62
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1