Apr 27, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Pekka Rinne has been a solid netminder on a bad team this season. At the same time, he took a step backwards after being nominated for the Vezina Trophy in 2011-12.
On Saturday, Predators coach Barry Trotz offered an explanation for Rinne’s decline in 2013 while reporting that Chris Mason will make his second consecutive start.
“He’s had a bit of a nagging thing all year. It just needs to settle down a little bit, and a little bit of reset too. There’s no sense to risk anything,” Trotz told The Tennessean. “We’re going to have some exit meetings. Pekka has to get away and heal a little bit and then we’ll start that process. You need a little time away for a second here.
“He needs to get healthy and then we’ll start that process.”
Injured or not, Rinne is trying to view this season as a learning experience.
“I’m just trying to figure out what you can do better and how you can be more helpful,” Rinne said.
He’s only been credited with 15 wins in 43 games this season, but the Predators have been one of the worst teams offensively in 2013.
The silver lining is that the Predators do have a number of talented youngsters that could take a step forward next season. They also have a fair amount of cap space, should they wish to do something bold over the summer.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 14
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 83
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (82)