Apr 26, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
You may recall earlier this month when it was reported that the New York Islanders may depart for Brooklyn after the 2013-14 season, one year earlier than their move from Nassau Coliseum to the Barclays Center was originally planned.
Well, that would be just fine with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.
“I’d like to see them in the newer building as soon as possible,” said Bettman, speaking at the Associated Press Sports Editors commissioners meeting, per Newsday.
For now, the Isles’ lease at Nassau Coliseum expires at the end of the 2014-15 season. And according to Bettman, the Islanders are “prepared to fulfill their obligations under their burdensome lease.”
But, “If Nassau County was inclined to let them go earlier, I know they would go.”
The Islanders — who are headed to the playoffs for the first time since 2007 — believe that the move to Brooklyn will, among other things, help them attract free agents that may not have wanted to play at the team’s current rink (which is, in fact, anything but current).
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 44
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)