Apr 26, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
You may recall earlier this month when it was reported that the New York Islanders may depart for Brooklyn after the 2013-14 season, one year earlier than their move from Nassau Coliseum to the Barclays Center was originally planned.
Well, that would be just fine with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.
“I’d like to see them in the newer building as soon as possible,” said Bettman, speaking at the Associated Press Sports Editors commissioners meeting, per Newsday.
For now, the Isles’ lease at Nassau Coliseum expires at the end of the 2014-15 season. And according to Bettman, the Islanders are “prepared to fulfill their obligations under their burdensome lease.”
But, “If Nassau County was inclined to let them go earlier, I know they would go.”
The Islanders — who are headed to the playoffs for the first time since 2007 — believe that the move to Brooklyn will, among other things, help them attract free agents that may not have wanted to play at the team’s current rink (which is, in fact, anything but current).
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 0
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)