Apr 8, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
Sources are telling IslandersPointBlank that the New York Islanders could depart for Brooklyn after the 2013-14 season, one year earlier than their move from Nassau Coliseum to the Barclays Center (pictured) was originally planned.
According to sources with Nassau and the Islanders, both sides are open to a financial arrangement that could benefit the bankrupt county and the money-losing team. The Islanders’ lease does not expire for another two full seasons, in the summer of 2015.
Leaving Nassau Coliseum a year earlier would enable the Islanders to begin capitalizing on revenue streams in Brooklyn, while not playing as lame duck tenants at the old barn on Hempstead Turnpike any longer than possible.
It’s not surprising to hear that these discussions are happening. If the Isles think they can make more money in Brooklyn, wouldn’t they want to get there as soon as possible? As long as they can make it worthwhile for Nassau, and as long as they’re ready to make the move by the end of next season, it seems like a no-brainer to scrap the last year of the lease at the old rink.
The one thing they won’t do, however, is move after this season.
“Too soon,” a source told IslandersPointBlank. “Too much work to be done heading into Barclays.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (84)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)