Apr 14, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
Just in case the Pittsburgh Penguins need more goaltending depth, they now have college standout Eric Hartzell at their disposal.
Hartzell is coming off an amazing season with Quinnipiac University where he guided his team to its first Frozen Four appearance, although the Yale Bulldogs ultimately upset Quinnipiac in the finals.
The 23-year-old netminder was a Hobey Baker Award finalist, part of the NCAA First-Team All-American, and the ECAC Player of the Year. He posted a 1.57 GAA and .933 save percentage in 42 NCAA games this season.
Hartzell finished his NCAA career with a 58-27-17 record, 1.96 GAA, and .924 save percentage in 106 contests.
The Penguins announced that his entry-level contract only runs through what’s left of the 2013 campaign, so it won’t be long before he’s looking for a new deal.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 5
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 45
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 38
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (45)