Apr 14, 2013, 1:30 AM EDT
The Yale Bulldogs wrote the last chapter of their underdog story on Saturday, topping the Quinnipiac Bobcats 4-0 to earn the school’s first-ever hockey national championship. They did so in front of a reported crowd of 18,184 at the Consol Energy Center.
As NHL.com points out, Yale goalie Jeff Malcolm starred on Saturday, making all 36 saves.
“I came back to prove that you could go to the best university in the world and compete in hockey at the highest level,” said Bulldogs coach Keith Allain, a former goalie at the school who has 13 years of experience as a National Hockey League assistant coach. “And this group has proven that this year.”
This serves as an upset on many levels. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Yale (ranked 15th out of the 16 tournament teams) beat top-ranked Quinnipiac.
- They had lost to Quinnipiac three times before tonight’s game.
- Malcolm managed to steal the spotlight from well-regarded opposing goalie and Hobey Baker finalist Eric Hartzell.
- The Toledo Blade points out that Yale became the first fourth seed to win it all.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)