Apr 14, 2013, 1:30 AM EDT
The Yale Bulldogs wrote the last chapter of their underdog story on Saturday, topping the Quinnipiac Bobcats 4-0 to earn the school’s first-ever hockey national championship. They did so in front of a reported crowd of 18,184 at the Consol Energy Center.
As NHL.com points out, Yale goalie Jeff Malcolm starred on Saturday, making all 36 saves.
“I came back to prove that you could go to the best university in the world and compete in hockey at the highest level,” said Bulldogs coach Keith Allain, a former goalie at the school who has 13 years of experience as a National Hockey League assistant coach. “And this group has proven that this year.”
This serves as an upset on many levels. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Yale (ranked 15th out of the 16 tournament teams) beat top-ranked Quinnipiac.
- They had lost to Quinnipiac three times before tonight’s game.
- Malcolm managed to steal the spotlight from well-regarded opposing goalie and Hobey Baker finalist Eric Hartzell.
- The Toledo Blade points out that Yale became the first fourth seed to win it all.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)