Apr 13, 2013, 9:48 PM EDT
The New York Islanders have been red-hot lately, but the New York Rangers can still say that they got the best of them … at least in their season series.
The Rangers won a tight, tense game on Saturday thanks to Dan Girardi‘s 1-0 overtime winner, taking three of the season’s four matchups (the Isles went 1-1-2 against them this season). While the Islanders remain ahead of the Rangers thanks to the “charity point,” the jockeying for positioning is far from over:
7. Islanders: 21-16-5 for 47 points (18 regulation/overtime wins); six games left
8. Rangers: 21-16-4 for 46 points (17 regulation/overtime wins); seven games left
The rest of the way
This marks the final 2013 regular season squabble between the two.
The Rangers have four road and three home games remaining left on their schedule. Things could get awfully rocky for the Isles, on the other hand. After Tuesday’s home finale against the Florida Panthers, the Islanders close out the season with five road games in a row.
One way or another, it seems like the rivalry is coming back to life, although John Tortorella might not agree.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)