Apr 13, 2013, 9:48 PM EDT
The New York Islanders have been red-hot lately, but the New York Rangers can still say that they got the best of them … at least in their season series.
The Rangers won a tight, tense game on Saturday thanks to Dan Girardi‘s 1-0 overtime winner, taking three of the season’s four matchups (the Isles went 1-1-2 against them this season). While the Islanders remain ahead of the Rangers thanks to the “charity point,” the jockeying for positioning is far from over:
7. Islanders: 21-16-5 for 47 points (18 regulation/overtime wins); six games left
8. Rangers: 21-16-4 for 46 points (17 regulation/overtime wins); seven games left
The rest of the way
This marks the final 2013 regular season squabble between the two.
The Rangers have four road and three home games remaining left on their schedule. Things could get awfully rocky for the Isles, on the other hand. After Tuesday’s home finale against the Florida Panthers, the Islanders close out the season with five road games in a row.
One way or another, it seems like the rivalry is coming back to life, although John Tortorella might not agree.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)