Apr 13, 2013, 9:48 PM EDT
The New York Islanders have been red-hot lately, but the New York Rangers can still say that they got the best of them … at least in their season series.
The Rangers won a tight, tense game on Saturday thanks to Dan Girardi‘s 1-0 overtime winner, taking three of the season’s four matchups (the Isles went 1-1-2 against them this season). While the Islanders remain ahead of the Rangers thanks to the “charity point,” the jockeying for positioning is far from over:
7. Islanders: 21-16-5 for 47 points (18 regulation/overtime wins); six games left
8. Rangers: 21-16-4 for 46 points (17 regulation/overtime wins); seven games left
The rest of the way
This marks the final 2013 regular season squabble between the two.
The Rangers have four road and three home games remaining left on their schedule. Things could get awfully rocky for the Isles, on the other hand. After Tuesday’s home finale against the Florida Panthers, the Islanders close out the season with five road games in a row.
One way or another, it seems like the rivalry is coming back to life, although John Tortorella might not agree.
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 2
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 23
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)