Apr 13, 2013, 9:48 PM EST
The New York Islanders have been red-hot lately, but the New York Rangers can still say that they got the best of them … at least in their season series.
The Rangers won a tight, tense game on Saturday thanks to Dan Girardi‘s 1-0 overtime winner, taking three of the season’s four matchups (the Isles went 1-1-2 against them this season). While the Islanders remain ahead of the Rangers thanks to the “charity point,” the jockeying for positioning is far from over:
7. Islanders: 21-16-5 for 47 points (18 regulation/overtime wins); six games left
8. Rangers: 21-16-4 for 46 points (17 regulation/overtime wins); seven games left
The rest of the way
This marks the final 2013 regular season squabble between the two.
The Rangers have four road and three home games remaining left on their schedule. Things could get awfully rocky for the Isles, on the other hand. After Tuesday’s home finale against the Florida Panthers, the Islanders close out the season with five road games in a row.
One way or another, it seems like the rivalry is coming back to life, although John Tortorella might not agree.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 45
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 29
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 60
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)