Brassard on Isles-Rangers rivalry game: ‘It was unreal’

Apr 13, 2013, 10:26 PM EDT

brassardvsislesgetty Getty Images

Being traded from the Columbus Blue Jackets to the New York Rangers must be a bit of a culture shock for Derick Brassard. He really got a taste of that on Saturday, as the Rangers beat the New York Islanders 1-0 in OT amid a scene that boasted what many described as a “playoff atmosphere.”

Being that he’s never played in a postseason game, it’s not surprising that this felt like a new experience for the 25-year-old forward.

“I’ve never played in a game like that before,” Brassard said. “It was unreal.”

Head coach John Tortorella didn’t give the Islanders a whole lot of thought before tonight’s game, but it seemed like the competitive match impressed him – to an extent (via ESPN’s Katie Strang).

“We’re happy to take part in a game like that with them,” Tortorella said.

He stopped short of calling it a full-on rivalry, though.

1. 950003cups - Apr 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Wait till he plays a Devils/Rangers game. The Islanders/Rangers rivalry stopped at Ranger fans under the age of 45. Islander fans of all ages seem to make more of it than Ranger fans (under 40) do. The Devils/Rangers rivalry is pretty fun to follow. It’s like a season within a season. It applies to ALL fans of both teams of all ages.

• 19to77 - Apr 14, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Give them a year or two. They’ll cross paths in the playoffs once and it’ll be right back on with gusto. =D

2. adge84 - Apr 14, 2013 at 2:28 AM

I’m a 28 year old life long ranger fan and I can say I hate the islanders more than any other team far and away. The rivalry has tapered lately but I still full on remember the late 80’s early and mid 90’s hatred. It may depend allot on where you grew up but in my opinion this rivalry is still going strong and I’m excited for its resurgence. Great game Potvin still sucks!!

• 950003cups - Apr 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM

you “full on remember the late 80’s early and mid 90’s” ? You must have been quite the avid fan at 4 years old. And by the early 90’s s the Devils were starting to become noticed, and were making a name for themselves at the expense of the rangers. You were already 9 by then, so you probably weren’t watching NHL as much as your focus turned to your grand children and taking care of the arthritis in your hip.

3. multiplemiggs - Apr 14, 2013 at 4:13 AM

I think you mean Potvin’s Cups ^

4. spizzjr - Apr 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM

No no he’s right Felix potvin did suck

5. 950003cups - Apr 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM

But I must say, Islanders are looking good. I knew once their draftees started getting acclimated to the NHL, that the acquisition of Nabakov (even though it was against his will) was going to launch them in to the playoffs. Good job. I wouldn’t worry about Nabakov not wanting to play in LI when he was aquired via waiver. People forget that Scott Stevens came to NJ as compensation from the Blues against his will, didn’t want to play here either, and that turned out ok.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches