Apr 13, 2013, 10:26 PM EDT
Being traded from the Columbus Blue Jackets to the New York Rangers must be a bit of a culture shock for Derick Brassard. He really got a taste of that on Saturday, as the Rangers beat the New York Islanders 1-0 in OT amid a scene that boasted what many described as a “playoff atmosphere.”
Being that he’s never played in a postseason game, it’s not surprising that this felt like a new experience for the 25-year-old forward.
“I’ve never played in a game like that before,” Brassard said. “It was unreal.”
Head coach John Tortorella didn’t give the Islanders a whole lot of thought before tonight’s game, but it seemed like the competitive match impressed him – to an extent (via ESPN’s Katie Strang).
“We’re happy to take part in a game like that with them,” Tortorella said.
He stopped short of calling it a full-on rivalry, though.
#NYR He did say, however, that he doesn’t “buy the rivalry,” that it takes a playoff series to build that sort of hostility
— Katie Strang (@KatieStrangESPN) April 14, 2013
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)