Apr 13, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Being traded from the Columbus Blue Jackets to the New York Rangers must be a bit of a culture shock for Derick Brassard. He really got a taste of that on Saturday, as the Rangers beat the New York Islanders 1-0 in OT amid a scene that boasted what many described as a “playoff atmosphere.”
Being that he’s never played in a postseason game, it’s not surprising that this felt like a new experience for the 25-year-old forward.
“I’ve never played in a game like that before,” Brassard said. “It was unreal.”
Head coach John Tortorella didn’t give the Islanders a whole lot of thought before tonight’s game, but it seemed like the competitive match impressed him – to an extent (via ESPN’s Katie Strang).
“We’re happy to take part in a game like that with them,” Tortorella said.
He stopped short of calling it a full-on rivalry, though.
#NYR He did say, however, that he doesn’t “buy the rivalry,” that it takes a playoff series to build that sort of hostility
— Katie Strang (@KatieStrangESPN) April 14, 2013
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 0
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 21
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 57
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 101
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)