Apr 13, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Being traded from the Columbus Blue Jackets to the New York Rangers must be a bit of a culture shock for Derick Brassard. He really got a taste of that on Saturday, as the Rangers beat the New York Islanders 1-0 in OT amid a scene that boasted what many described as a “playoff atmosphere.”
Being that he’s never played in a postseason game, it’s not surprising that this felt like a new experience for the 25-year-old forward.
“I’ve never played in a game like that before,” Brassard said. “It was unreal.”
Head coach John Tortorella didn’t give the Islanders a whole lot of thought before tonight’s game, but it seemed like the competitive match impressed him – to an extent (via ESPN’s Katie Strang).
“We’re happy to take part in a game like that with them,” Tortorella said.
He stopped short of calling it a full-on rivalry, though.
#NYR He did say, however, that he doesn’t “buy the rivalry,” that it takes a playoff series to build that sort of hostility
— Katie Strang (@KatieStrangESPN) April 14, 2013
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 1
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)