Apr 13, 2013, 10:26 PM EDT
Being traded from the Columbus Blue Jackets to the New York Rangers must be a bit of a culture shock for Derick Brassard. He really got a taste of that on Saturday, as the Rangers beat the New York Islanders 1-0 in OT amid a scene that boasted what many described as a “playoff atmosphere.”
Being that he’s never played in a postseason game, it’s not surprising that this felt like a new experience for the 25-year-old forward.
“I’ve never played in a game like that before,” Brassard said. “It was unreal.”
Head coach John Tortorella didn’t give the Islanders a whole lot of thought before tonight’s game, but it seemed like the competitive match impressed him – to an extent (via ESPN’s Katie Strang).
“We’re happy to take part in a game like that with them,” Tortorella said.
He stopped short of calling it a full-on rivalry, though.
#NYR He did say, however, that he doesn’t “buy the rivalry,” that it takes a playoff series to build that sort of hostility
— Katie Strang (@KatieStrangESPN) April 14, 2013
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)