Apr 12, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
Friday (8:30 p.m. ET) — Detroit at Chicago
A possible first-round playoff preview. Detroit has just two wins in its last seven games and has Phoenix and Dallas nipping at its heels for the final playoff spot in the West. Among the Red Wings’ recent losses: they got absolutely smoked on home ice, 7-1, by the ‘Hawks on March 31.
Saturday (7 p.m. ET) — NY Rangers at NY Islanders
The hottest Islanders ticket in ages. At last glance, the cheapest single on StubHub was $175. The Isles have won eight of their last 10 and have an 86.3 percent chance of making the playoffs, according to Sports Club Stats. With the Rangers in town, the atmosphere in the rink should be awesome.
Saturday (7 p.m. ET) — Montreal at Toronto
Another potential first-round match-up. And what a story that would be. The last time the Habs and Leafs met in the playoffs was 1979, when a powerhouse Montreal side swept Toronto on the way to a fourth consecutive Stanley Cup title.
Saturday (7 p.m. ET) — Tampa Bay at Washington
Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos go head-to-head in pursuit of the Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy. Both players have 26 goals, tied for the most in the NHL. Ovechkin is the hottest of the two though, with 17 goals in his last 16 games. Plus, he’s got his team headed towards the playoffs.
Sunday (12:30 p.m. ET) — Chicago at St. Louis
A battle between two of the top sides in the Western Conference. Blues goalie Brian Elliott hasn’t allowed a goal in 189:29. He’s getting Friday night off, leaving him fresh to start versus the ‘Hawks (on NBC!).
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)