Apr 12, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Brian Elliott deserves a night off, don’t you think?
Tonight in Columbus, the St. Louis Blues will turn to rookie goalie Jake Allen while Elliott — after registering three straight shutouts, including last night’s 2-0 blanking of the Wild — takes a seat on the bench.
Barring an Allen meltdown or injury, Elliott will have to wait until Sunday’s NBC game of the Week against the Chicago Blackhawks to start extending a shutout streak that’s reached 189:29.
The NHL record for longest shutout streak belongs to Brian Boucher (332:01).
Allen was good in his last start, stopping 26 of 27 Columbus shots in a 3-1 victory last Friday at the Scottrade Center.
With six straight wins, the Blues sit sixth in the Western Conference, one point behind San Jose and two points behind Los Angeles. However, St. Louis has one game in hand on the Sharks and two on the Kings.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 4
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 25
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 6
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 16
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 8
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27