Apr 12, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Brian Elliott deserves a night off, don’t you think?
Tonight in Columbus, the St. Louis Blues will turn to rookie goalie Jake Allen while Elliott — after registering three straight shutouts, including last night’s 2-0 blanking of the Wild — takes a seat on the bench.
Barring an Allen meltdown or injury, Elliott will have to wait until Sunday’s NBC game of the Week against the Chicago Blackhawks to start extending a shutout streak that’s reached 189:29.
The NHL record for longest shutout streak belongs to Brian Boucher (332:01).
Allen was good in his last start, stopping 26 of 27 Columbus shots in a 3-1 victory last Friday at the Scottrade Center.
With six straight wins, the Blues sit sixth in the Western Conference, one point behind San Jose and two points behind Los Angeles. However, St. Louis has one game in hand on the Sharks and two on the Kings.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 21
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 16
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 13
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 10
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4