Apr 12, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Brian Elliott deserves a night off, don’t you think?
Tonight in Columbus, the St. Louis Blues will turn to rookie goalie Jake Allen while Elliott — after registering three straight shutouts, including last night’s 2-0 blanking of the Wild — takes a seat on the bench.
Barring an Allen meltdown or injury, Elliott will have to wait until Sunday’s NBC game of the Week against the Chicago Blackhawks to start extending a shutout streak that’s reached 189:29.
The NHL record for longest shutout streak belongs to Brian Boucher (332:01).
Allen was good in his last start, stopping 26 of 27 Columbus shots in a 3-1 victory last Friday at the Scottrade Center.
With six straight wins, the Blues sit sixth in the Western Conference, one point behind San Jose and two points behind Los Angeles. However, St. Louis has one game in hand on the Sharks and two on the Kings.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 48
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (51)