Apr 12, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
Brian Elliott deserves a night off, don’t you think?
Tonight in Columbus, the St. Louis Blues will turn to rookie goalie Jake Allen while Elliott — after registering three straight shutouts, including last night’s 2-0 blanking of the Wild — takes a seat on the bench.
Barring an Allen meltdown or injury, Elliott will have to wait until Sunday’s NBC game of the Week against the Chicago Blackhawks to start extending a shutout streak that’s reached 189:29.
The NHL record for longest shutout streak belongs to Brian Boucher (332:01).
Allen was good in his last start, stopping 26 of 27 Columbus shots in a 3-1 victory last Friday at the Scottrade Center.
With six straight wins, the Blues sit sixth in the Western Conference, one point behind San Jose and two points behind Los Angeles. However, St. Louis has one game in hand on the Sharks and two on the Kings.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)