Apr 12, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
Brian Elliott deserves a night off, don’t you think?
Tonight in Columbus, the St. Louis Blues will turn to rookie goalie Jake Allen while Elliott — after registering three straight shutouts, including last night’s 2-0 blanking of the Wild — takes a seat on the bench.
Barring an Allen meltdown or injury, Elliott will have to wait until Sunday’s NBC game of the Week against the Chicago Blackhawks to start extending a shutout streak that’s reached 189:29.
The NHL record for longest shutout streak belongs to Brian Boucher (332:01).
Allen was good in his last start, stopping 26 of 27 Columbus shots in a 3-1 victory last Friday at the Scottrade Center.
With six straight wins, the Blues sit sixth in the Western Conference, one point behind San Jose and two points behind Los Angeles. However, St. Louis has one game in hand on the Sharks and two on the Kings.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 24
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 40
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 34
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21