Apr 9, 2013, 3:51 PM EST
The New York Rangers announced that defenseman Marc Staal skated on his own prior to Tuesday’s practice, a significant step in his return from an eye injury.
But it sounds like he wouldn’t have gotten there without his wife.
Staal met with reporters following his skate, and recounted the first few days after being struck in the eye with a puck against the Flyers on Mar. 5.
“That first week was pretty scary, I don’t think my wife slept the first four nights wiping blood off my eye and off my face.
“She’s been amazing, and my parents and my brothers. And it’s amazing how small the hockey world is and how many people reached out. That’s been great.”
Tuesday marked he second day in a row that Staal has skated, according to Jim Cerny of BlueshirtsUnited.
While there’s still no timetable for a return to game action (Sportsnet did report earlier that Staal could return by season’s end), one thing is for certain — Staal regrets not wearing a visor, and will don one when he comes back.
“It was the first thing that went through my mind when I hit the ice,” he said. “I should have been wearing a visor. But hindsight is 20/20.”
Staal also added he’ll vote yes on an NHLPA initiative about mandatory visor use for new players entering the league, and is “all for” grandfathering in a rule allowing current players to make their own choice about wearing them.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)