Giguere ‘embarrassed’ by Avs, says some teammates ‘care more about their trip to Vegas’ than winning games
Apr 9, 2013, 1:44 AM EST
There’s an entertaining pattern forming: the Colorado Avalanche lose to the Calgary Flames and then an Avs player blows up to the press.
“Some guys are more worried about their Vegas trip at the end of the season than playing the games, than playing every minute of the games,” Giguere said.
“Quite frankly, I don’t care about your Vegas trip right now.”
(Surely the comments section will be full of fun and totally unscientific guesses about who those “guys” are.)
Apparently Giguere wasn’t impressed with the 40 shots the Avalanche fired on Joey MacDonald, who turned aside all but one.
(Giguere made 31 out of 34 saves himself.)
Some might point out that the Avs might have “won” in the long run by solidifying hold on last place in the NHL, but apparently the 35-year-old netminder joins Duchene in not being particularly interested in tanking.
Dater’s full piece is online now, so check it out. Here’s the killer Giguere excerpt:
“It’s embarrassing. I’m embarrassed to be here right now. It’s not even funny,” [Giguere said].
I then asked Jiggy if the true problem with this team is just its lack of focus or preparation or pride or whatever, and he said:
“I don’t know what it is. I’ve been around for 15 years in this league and I don’t know what it is. I don’t know why we seem like we don’t care at points. I don’t know, I don’t know we seem like, you know – some guys are fighting to show that they belong in the NHL, some guys are fighting for contracts.
“And it’s just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. It’s not how you’re going to win any games in this league.
“I mean, this is a team (Calgary) that we can beat if we set our minds to it, and every day is the same story. I don’t know what to say. I’m beyond words right now.”
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 20
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 57
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)