Mar 28, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
Although the it’s not getting much attention in Calgary because of something else that happened last night, the Flames’ match against Colorado got under the skin of Avalanche forward Matt Duchene and defenseman Erik Johnson.
Even with Jarome Iginla being listed as a healthy scratch in the lead-up to his trade, Calgary still managed to take a 2-0 lead in the first period that was the catalyst for its eventual 4-3 victory over Colorado.
“It’s a joke. It’s embarrassing,” Duchene said in a Denver Post report. “We put ourselves being the 8-ball every night, every single night. Enough is enough.
“I don’t know what’s going on. It’s a joke . . . They get in at 3 in the morning (today) after a loss and they want it more than us. It just can’t be that way. We played well the next 40 but we lost by a goal because we allowed two early ones.”
Avalanche coach Joe Sacco said that his team has addressed their first period shortcomings and “try not to make a major issue” so that it doesn’t consume them. However, Johnson, like Duchene seemed beyond frustrated after last night’s loss.
“I don’t know how many more times we can talk about having poor starts and not being ready to play in the first period. We’re sick and tired of it, but it’s up to us to change it,” Johnson said.
Johnson added that they’ve talked about it enough but ultimately “talk is cheap.”
The Avalanche are dead last in the Western Conference with a 11-17-4 record. Even if they win all of their remaining contests, the best they could manage is 58 points this season.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)