Apr 8, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
Mason, acquired at the NHL’s trade deadline, appears to be held in high regard by Flyers brass. Almost immediately after joining the club, his agent told reporters the team planned to sign Mason to a new deal.
The former Columbus netminder and 2009 Calder winner made his Flyers debut on Saturday against the Jets in relief of Ilya Bryzgalov, who allowed four goals on 16 shots — with all the goals coming in a seven-minute span during the second period.
Mason stopped all nine shots faced in the third period, and said he felt good about his performance.
“I tried to make things simple out there and overall it was pretty good,” he told CSN Philly. “It’s something to build off of.
“Since the trade’s been down, I haven’t had a practice yet, so I’m looking forward to getting out there with the team and really starting to figure things out here.”
Philadelphia next plays on Tuesday against the Islanders in New York. No word yet on who’ll get the start.
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 0
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 9
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 85
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 79
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 46
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (79)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)