Apr 8, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Mason, acquired at the NHL’s trade deadline, appears to be held in high regard by Flyers brass. Almost immediately after joining the club, his agent told reporters the team planned to sign Mason to a new deal.
The former Columbus netminder and 2009 Calder winner made his Flyers debut on Saturday against the Jets in relief of Ilya Bryzgalov, who allowed four goals on 16 shots — with all the goals coming in a seven-minute span during the second period.
Mason stopped all nine shots faced in the third period, and said he felt good about his performance.
“I tried to make things simple out there and overall it was pretty good,” he told CSN Philly. “It’s something to build off of.
“Since the trade’s been down, I haven’t had a practice yet, so I’m looking forward to getting out there with the team and really starting to figure things out here.”
Philadelphia next plays on Tuesday against the Islanders in New York. No word yet on who’ll get the start.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 26
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 88
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 43
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 73
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63