Apr 4, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
Steve Mason‘s agent is well aware that his client has been traded to a city with a reputation for chewing up goalies and spitting them out.
He just doesn’t think it’s a big deal.
After all, Philadelphia isn’t the only NHL market where it’s tough to be a goalie.
“That’s OK,” Anton Thun said today in Toronto, per CSNPhilly.com. “There’s lots of places where goaltenders get eaten alive. The reality of it is, you get eaten alive no matter where you play if you’re a goaltender who is not stopping the puck. It’s as simple as that. You get eaten alive in Montreal; you get eaten alive in Toronto; you get eaten alive in New York; and that’s the reality of it. Doesn’t matter. Roberto Luongo gets eaten alive in Vancouver when he lets in a bad goal.
“If you want to go to a marketplace where you can put yourself in a rocking chair, and not worry about performing, hey, that’s OK. That’s not the real world of professional sports.”
Thun also said he expects Mason, 24, will have a one-year contract extension signed with the Flyers “in the next few days.”
Ilya Bryzgalov will get the start in goal tonight versus the Leafs.
The Flyers’ next game is Saturday in Winnipeg.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)