Apr 6, 2013, 11:56 AM EDT
There’s no question that Pavel Bure was a tremendous hockey player, but was his 428-game tenure with the Vancouver Canucks long enough to warrant the team retiring his number?
Bure’s time with the Canucks ended on a sour note with him demanding a trade, but Vancouver fans put that behind them as they gave the retired superstar a standing ovation Thursday night.
That should serve to fuel owner Francesco Aquilini desire to retire his number.
“This is something we’re going to work on and definitely it’s in the plans,” Aquilini said, according to a Vancouver Province report. “We think that Pavel is going to be a great addition to all the members who are retired up there.
“He’s such a great guy and he’s such an exciting player. You could see the fans. The standing ovation went on for at least five minutes.”
Aquilini also defended the way Bure ended his playing career with Vancouver.
“He never had problems with the fans,” Aquilini said. “He had problems with management, but never the fans.”
Bure had back-to-back 60-goal seasons with the Canucks and ended up with a stunning 437 goals in 702 career NHL games.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)