Apr 6, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for the Philadelphia Flyers to get Steve Mason in the mix.
The former Blue Jackets goalie, acquired at Wednesday’s trade deadline, replaced Ilya Bryzgalov to start the third period of Philly’s game in Winnipeg on Saturday.
Bryzgalov allowed four goals on 16 shots against the Jets, with all four goals coming in a seven-minute span during the second period.
Saturday’s affair was only Mason’s second game with the Flyers. He served as Bryzgalov’s backup for a 5-3 win over Toronto on Thursday.
It’ll be interesting to see what role Mason plays moving forward as the Flyers continue to hunt down a playoff spot.
The organization seems fairly high on Mason reclaiming the form that saw him win the Calder in 2009 and get nominated for the Vezina — so much so that his agent, Anton Thun, said he expects the 24-year-old to have a one-year contract extension signed with the Flyers “in the next few days.”
Update: Mason finished the game by stopping all nine shots faced in the third period, but the Flyers still lost, 4-1.
Afterward, Philly forward Wayne Simmonds summed up the performance.
“”We sucked,” he told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “We went back to our old ways.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)