Apr 6, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for the Philadelphia Flyers to get Steve Mason in the mix.
The former Blue Jackets goalie, acquired at Wednesday’s trade deadline, replaced Ilya Bryzgalov to start the third period of Philly’s game in Winnipeg on Saturday.
Bryzgalov allowed four goals on 16 shots against the Jets, with all four goals coming in a seven-minute span during the second period.
Saturday’s affair was only Mason’s second game with the Flyers. He served as Bryzgalov’s backup for a 5-3 win over Toronto on Thursday.
It’ll be interesting to see what role Mason plays moving forward as the Flyers continue to hunt down a playoff spot.
The organization seems fairly high on Mason reclaiming the form that saw him win the Calder in 2009 and get nominated for the Vezina — so much so that his agent, Anton Thun, said he expects the 24-year-old to have a one-year contract extension signed with the Flyers “in the next few days.”
Update: Mason finished the game by stopping all nine shots faced in the third period, but the Flyers still lost, 4-1.
Afterward, Philly forward Wayne Simmonds summed up the performance.
“”We sucked,” he told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “We went back to our old ways.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 0
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)