Apr 6, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for the Philadelphia Flyers to get Steve Mason in the mix.
The former Blue Jackets goalie, acquired at Wednesday’s trade deadline, replaced Ilya Bryzgalov to start the third period of Philly’s game in Winnipeg on Saturday.
Bryzgalov allowed four goals on 16 shots against the Jets, with all four goals coming in a seven-minute span during the second period.
Saturday’s affair was only Mason’s second game with the Flyers. He served as Bryzgalov’s backup for a 5-3 win over Toronto on Thursday.
It’ll be interesting to see what role Mason plays moving forward as the Flyers continue to hunt down a playoff spot.
The organization seems fairly high on Mason reclaiming the form that saw him win the Calder in 2009 and get nominated for the Vezina — so much so that his agent, Anton Thun, said he expects the 24-year-old to have a one-year contract extension signed with the Flyers “in the next few days.”
Update: Mason finished the game by stopping all nine shots faced in the third period, but the Flyers still lost, 4-1.
Afterward, Philly forward Wayne Simmonds summed up the performance.
“”We sucked,” he told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “We went back to our old ways.”
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 30
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)