Apr 6, 2013, 5:35 PM EST
It didn’t take long for the Philadelphia Flyers to get Steve Mason in the mix.
The former Blue Jackets goalie, acquired at Wednesday’s trade deadline, replaced Ilya Bryzgalov to start the third period of Philly’s game in Winnipeg on Saturday.
Bryzgalov allowed four goals on 16 shots against the Jets, with all four goals coming in a seven-minute span during the second period.
Saturday’s affair was only Mason’s second game with the Flyers. He served as Bryzgalov’s backup for a 5-3 win over Toronto on Thursday.
It’ll be interesting to see what role Mason plays moving forward as the Flyers continue to hunt down a playoff spot.
The organization seems fairly high on Mason reclaiming the form that saw him win the Calder in 2009 and get nominated for the Vezina — so much so that his agent, Anton Thun, said he expects the 24-year-old to have a one-year contract extension signed with the Flyers “in the next few days.”
Update: Mason finished the game by stopping all nine shots faced in the third period, but the Flyers still lost, 4-1.
Afterward, Philly forward Wayne Simmonds summed up the performance.
“”We sucked,” he told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “We went back to our old ways.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)