Apr 6, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for the Philadelphia Flyers to get Steve Mason in the mix.
The former Blue Jackets goalie, acquired at Wednesday’s trade deadline, replaced Ilya Bryzgalov to start the third period of Philly’s game in Winnipeg on Saturday.
Bryzgalov allowed four goals on 16 shots against the Jets, with all four goals coming in a seven-minute span during the second period.
Saturday’s affair was only Mason’s second game with the Flyers. He served as Bryzgalov’s backup for a 5-3 win over Toronto on Thursday.
It’ll be interesting to see what role Mason plays moving forward as the Flyers continue to hunt down a playoff spot.
The organization seems fairly high on Mason reclaiming the form that saw him win the Calder in 2009 and get nominated for the Vezina — so much so that his agent, Anton Thun, said he expects the 24-year-old to have a one-year contract extension signed with the Flyers “in the next few days.”
Update: Mason finished the game by stopping all nine shots faced in the third period, but the Flyers still lost, 4-1.
Afterward, Philly forward Wayne Simmonds summed up the performance.
“”We sucked,” he told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “We went back to our old ways.”
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 13
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 13
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 32
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)