Apr 3, 2013, 8:39 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers didn’t do a ton on the trade deadline, but they at least filled their quota of making trades with the Columbus Blue Jackets. This time it was for failed franchise goalie Steve Mason.
If you’re an extreme optimist, you might wedge “former Calder Trophy winner” in that description instead. Flyers GM Paul Holmgren’s comments to NHL.com indicate that he ranks among the glass half-full types.
“We like Steve as a young goalie,” Holmgren said. “We still think there’s tremendous upside there. We’ll bring him in and work with him and try to help him achieve his goals of becoming a better goalie as well.”
At 24, he does at least make some sense as a reclamation project. Some thinks he can be more than that, too; during the first intermission of Wednesday’s Night Game, Mike Milbury floated the idea that Mason could be getting an audition to take Ilya Bryzgalov‘s job.
Before anything that drastic happens, Mason needs to show that he was more than a flash in the pan. If what Holmgren told CSNPhilly.com is true, proving himself might just get Mason a job beyond this season.
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 10
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 26
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)