Apr 3, 2013, 8:39 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers didn’t do a ton on the trade deadline, but they at least filled their quota of making trades with the Columbus Blue Jackets. This time it was for failed franchise goalie Steve Mason.
If you’re an extreme optimist, you might wedge “former Calder Trophy winner” in that description instead. Flyers GM Paul Holmgren’s comments to NHL.com indicate that he ranks among the glass half-full types.
“We like Steve as a young goalie,” Holmgren said. “We still think there’s tremendous upside there. We’ll bring him in and work with him and try to help him achieve his goals of becoming a better goalie as well.”
At 24, he does at least make some sense as a reclamation project. Some thinks he can be more than that, too; during the first intermission of Wednesday’s Night Game, Mike Milbury floated the idea that Mason could be getting an audition to take Ilya Bryzgalov‘s job.
Before anything that drastic happens, Mason needs to show that he was more than a flash in the pan. If what Holmgren told CSNPhilly.com is true, proving himself might just get Mason a job beyond this season.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 7
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 56
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (57)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)