Apr 3, 2013, 2:33 PM EST
Steve Mason is getting a much-needed change of scenery. However, it’s not exactly a place that’s been kind to goaltenders — he’s been traded from Columbus to Philadelphia.
Mason, 24, is 3-6-1 with a .899 save percentage this season. The 24-year-old won the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year after an excellent 2008-09 campaign, but for the most part has struggled ever since.
The rise of Sergei Bobrovsky, who ironically was acquired last summer from Philadelphia, made Mason doubly expendable.
The Flyers will obviously be hoping Mason can regain his rookie form.
Via CSNPhilly.com, Mason told TSN that’s he looking forward to the opportunity to resurrect his career.
“I’m really excited and going to a new organization with a fresh opportunity to play with some players I have a history with from World Juniors there. Just really looking forward to meeting the new guys and starting off fresh,” Mason said.
“I’m more than thrilled to have this new opportunity. With the way Sergei has played, he’s taken the ball and really run with it.
“Every goaltender wants a fresh start and not be sitting on the bench. I’m going to a new organization to re-establish my career and really looking forward to that.”
- Report: Devils fire coach DeBoer 2
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 0
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 5
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)