Apr 3, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
Steve Mason is getting a much-needed change of scenery. However, it’s not exactly a place that’s been kind to goaltenders — he’s been traded from Columbus to Philadelphia.
Mason, 24, is 3-6-1 with a .899 save percentage this season. The 24-year-old won the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year after an excellent 2008-09 campaign, but for the most part has struggled ever since.
The rise of Sergei Bobrovsky, who ironically was acquired last summer from Philadelphia, made Mason doubly expendable.
The Flyers will obviously be hoping Mason can regain his rookie form.
Via CSNPhilly.com, Mason told TSN that’s he looking forward to the opportunity to resurrect his career.
“I’m really excited and going to a new organization with a fresh opportunity to play with some players I have a history with from World Juniors there. Just really looking forward to meeting the new guys and starting off fresh,” Mason said.
“I’m more than thrilled to have this new opportunity. With the way Sergei has played, he’s taken the ball and really run with it.
“Every goaltender wants a fresh start and not be sitting on the bench. I’m going to a new organization to re-establish my career and really looking forward to that.”
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 19
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 8
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)