Apr 3, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
Steve Mason is getting a much-needed change of scenery. However, it’s not exactly a place that’s been kind to goaltenders — he’s been traded from Columbus to Philadelphia.
Mason, 24, is 3-6-1 with a .899 save percentage this season. The 24-year-old won the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year after an excellent 2008-09 campaign, but for the most part has struggled ever since.
The rise of Sergei Bobrovsky, who ironically was acquired last summer from Philadelphia, made Mason doubly expendable.
The Flyers will obviously be hoping Mason can regain his rookie form.
Via CSNPhilly.com, Mason told TSN that’s he looking forward to the opportunity to resurrect his career.
“I’m really excited and going to a new organization with a fresh opportunity to play with some players I have a history with from World Juniors there. Just really looking forward to meeting the new guys and starting off fresh,” Mason said.
“I’m more than thrilled to have this new opportunity. With the way Sergei has played, he’s taken the ball and really run with it.
“Every goaltender wants a fresh start and not be sitting on the bench. I’m going to a new organization to re-establish my career and really looking forward to that.”
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 23
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 33
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)