Apr 3, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
Steve Mason is getting a much-needed change of scenery. However, it’s not exactly a place that’s been kind to goaltenders — he’s been traded from Columbus to Philadelphia.
Mason, 24, is 3-6-1 with a .899 save percentage this season. The 24-year-old won the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year after an excellent 2008-09 campaign, but for the most part has struggled ever since.
The rise of Sergei Bobrovsky, who ironically was acquired last summer from Philadelphia, made Mason doubly expendable.
The Flyers will obviously be hoping Mason can regain his rookie form.
Via CSNPhilly.com, Mason told TSN that’s he looking forward to the opportunity to resurrect his career.
“I’m really excited and going to a new organization with a fresh opportunity to play with some players I have a history with from World Juniors there. Just really looking forward to meeting the new guys and starting off fresh,” Mason said.
“I’m more than thrilled to have this new opportunity. With the way Sergei has played, he’s taken the ball and really run with it.
“Every goaltender wants a fresh start and not be sitting on the bench. I’m going to a new organization to re-establish my career and really looking forward to that.”
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)