Apr 2, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks got their center today, acquiring Derek Roy from Dallas for a second-round pick and defenseman prospect Kevin Connauton.
The trade was first reported by Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos.
Roy, 29, is a pending unrestricted free agent ($4 million cap hit) that has four goals and 18 assists this season. His best season was with the Buffalo Sabres in 2007-08, when he had 32 goals and 49 assists.
For more on Roy, here’s our Trade Bait profile.
In Connauton, the Stars get an offensive defenseman that has 25 points in 60 games for AHL Chicago this season. The 23-year-old was a third-round pick of the Canucks in 2009, after which he scored 72 points in 69 games for the Vancouver Giants (WHL) in 2009-10. He still needs to improve the defensive aspects of his game, however.
After acquiring Roy, the Canucks sent Jordan Schroeder back to AHL Chicago. Vancouver’s next game is Thursday at home to the Oilers.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 12
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 22
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)