Apr 2, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks got their center today, acquiring Derek Roy from Dallas for a second-round pick and defenseman prospect Kevin Connauton.
The trade was first reported by Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos.
Roy, 29, is a pending unrestricted free agent ($4 million cap hit) that has four goals and 18 assists this season. His best season was with the Buffalo Sabres in 2007-08, when he had 32 goals and 49 assists.
For more on Roy, here’s our Trade Bait profile.
In Connauton, the Stars get an offensive defenseman that has 25 points in 60 games for AHL Chicago this season. The 23-year-old was a third-round pick of the Canucks in 2009, after which he scored 72 points in 69 games for the Vancouver Giants (WHL) in 2009-10. He still needs to improve the defensive aspects of his game, however.
After acquiring Roy, the Canucks sent Jordan Schroeder back to AHL Chicago. Vancouver’s next game is Thursday at home to the Oilers.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 29
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)