Mar 30, 2013, 4:08 PM EDT
You can make it 15 in a row for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The Pens extended their win streak to 15 straight games beating the Islanders 2-0 and they had to do it with a load of adversity.
They didn’t have Kris Letang or Paul Martin thanks to injuries. Sidney Crosby left the game early in the first period after taking a puck in the mouth and Chris Kunitz got tossed out after receiving a major penalty for hitting from behind.
None of that mattered as they had Matt Cooke scoring a goal and dominating on the penalty kill and Tomas Vokoun earning his second straight shutout and the team’s third in a row. James Neal added a goal as well, snapping a nine-game goalless drought.
The Penguins finish the month of March going 15-0-0 and now lead the Eastern Conference by nine points over Montreal. The Habs have three games in hand including one tonight against the Rangers. Next up for Pittsburgh: Buffalo at home on Tuesday night.
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 8
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 46
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 19
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13