Mar 30, 2013, 4:08 PM EDT
You can make it 15 in a row for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The Pens extended their win streak to 15 straight games beating the Islanders 2-0 and they had to do it with a load of adversity.
They didn’t have Kris Letang or Paul Martin thanks to injuries. Sidney Crosby left the game early in the first period after taking a puck in the mouth and Chris Kunitz got tossed out after receiving a major penalty for hitting from behind.
None of that mattered as they had Matt Cooke scoring a goal and dominating on the penalty kill and Tomas Vokoun earning his second straight shutout and the team’s third in a row. James Neal added a goal as well, snapping a nine-game goalless drought.
The Penguins finish the month of March going 15-0-0 and now lead the Eastern Conference by nine points over Montreal. The Habs have three games in hand including one tonight against the Rangers. Next up for Pittsburgh: Buffalo at home on Tuesday night.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40