Mar 29, 2013, 11:19 PM EDT
The Jon Cooper era in Tampa Bay began with a win for the Lightning.
Tampa Bay’s new head coach made his debut behind the Lightning bench on Friday after being officially hired on Monday, and his players were able to fight back from a two-goal third-period deficit to defeat the New Jersey Devils 5-4 in the shootout.
Given how excited Cooper was before the game – “I’m jacked. This is really, really exciting. I’ve got a plan. I’ve done it my way, and here I stand today,” he told NHL.com – he had to like his team’s effort in the third period, after going down by a pair of goals.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 10
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 15
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25