Mar 29, 2013, 11:19 PM EDT
The Jon Cooper era in Tampa Bay began with a win for the Lightning.
Tampa Bay’s new head coach made his debut behind the Lightning bench on Friday after being officially hired on Monday, and his players were able to fight back from a two-goal third-period deficit to defeat the New Jersey Devils 5-4 in the shootout.
Given how excited Cooper was before the game – “I’m jacked. This is really, really exciting. I’ve got a plan. I’ve done it my way, and here I stand today,” he told NHL.com – he had to like his team’s effort in the third period, after going down by a pair of goals.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 5
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 11
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 11
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)