Mar 29, 2013, 11:19 PM EDT
The Jon Cooper era in Tampa Bay began with a win for the Lightning.
Tampa Bay’s new head coach made his debut behind the Lightning bench on Friday after being officially hired on Monday, and his players were able to fight back from a two-goal third-period deficit to defeat the New Jersey Devils 5-4 in the shootout.
Given how excited Cooper was before the game – “I’m jacked. This is really, really exciting. I’ve got a plan. I’ve done it my way, and here I stand today,” he told NHL.com – he had to like his team’s effort in the third period, after going down by a pair of goals.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)