Mar 25, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
It was reported earlier Monday that Jon Cooper would be named head coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning, and the NHL franchise made it official in the evening.
The Lightning officially announced Cooper as the team’s new head coach Monday evening. The news comes after Guy Boucher was fired early Sunday morning.
“We are very pleased to introduce Jon as our head coach today,” Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said in a statement on the team’s website.
“He has had success at every level he has coached and is extremely familiar with our organization, as well as our players. He has a tremendous record at all levels and we feel he is ready to make the move to the NHL.”
According to NHL.com, Cooper will reportedly be introduced at a press conference Wednesday.
The Lightning are 14th in the Eastern Conference standings, with only 16 games remaining in the season to try and salvage a playoff position.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 83
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (83)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)