Mar 28, 2013, 2:59 AM EDT
It was big news when the Pittsburgh Penguins picked up forward Brenden Morrow from the Dallas Stars on Sunday.
It was also big news when the Penguins acquired defenseman Douglas Murray from the San Jose Sharks on Monday.
Then, the hockey world found out that the Penguins acquired Jarome Iginla from the Calgary Flames in exchange for prospects Ben Hanowski, Kenny Agostino and a 2013 first-round draft pick. Depending on which part of the continent you reside, the deal could’ve come down early Thursday morning or late Wednesday night.
It doesn’t really matter. It’s perhaps the biggest trade of 2013.
Oh, and the Penguins have Sidney Crosby, the league’s leading scorer with 54 points in 34 games. In the last few days, the Penguins have gone from a very good team to the heavy favorites to win the Eastern Conference.
“What are you supposed to say, that we’re not all in?” Penguins general manager Ray Shero told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
“Yeah, we’re all in. We want to win.”
The Penguins are 26-8-0 and their 52 points is good enough for top spot in the Eastern Conference, five points up on the Montreal Canadiens.
It’s not all good news in Pittsburgh, however.
“Marc-Andre Fleury is continuing to get evaluated today,” Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma told NHL.com.
“There’s not any more information in that regard. He’s not been ruled out to be the backup (Thursday) as of yet.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)