Mar 28, 2013, 2:59 AM EDT
It was big news when the Pittsburgh Penguins picked up forward Brenden Morrow from the Dallas Stars on Sunday.
It was also big news when the Penguins acquired defenseman Douglas Murray from the San Jose Sharks on Monday.
Then, the hockey world found out that the Penguins acquired Jarome Iginla from the Calgary Flames in exchange for prospects Ben Hanowski, Kenny Agostino and a 2013 first-round draft pick. Depending on which part of the continent you reside, the deal could’ve come down early Thursday morning or late Wednesday night.
It doesn’t really matter. It’s perhaps the biggest trade of 2013.
Oh, and the Penguins have Sidney Crosby, the league’s leading scorer with 54 points in 34 games. In the last few days, the Penguins have gone from a very good team to the heavy favorites to win the Eastern Conference.
“What are you supposed to say, that we’re not all in?” Penguins general manager Ray Shero told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
“Yeah, we’re all in. We want to win.”
The Penguins are 26-8-0 and their 52 points is good enough for top spot in the Eastern Conference, five points up on the Montreal Canadiens.
It’s not all good news in Pittsburgh, however.
“Marc-Andre Fleury is continuing to get evaluated today,” Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma told NHL.com.
“There’s not any more information in that regard. He’s not been ruled out to be the backup (Thursday) as of yet.”
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)