Mar 28, 2013, 2:59 AM EDT
It was big news when the Pittsburgh Penguins picked up forward Brenden Morrow from the Dallas Stars on Sunday.
It was also big news when the Penguins acquired defenseman Douglas Murray from the San Jose Sharks on Monday.
Then, the hockey world found out that the Penguins acquired Jarome Iginla from the Calgary Flames in exchange for prospects Ben Hanowski, Kenny Agostino and a 2013 first-round draft pick. Depending on which part of the continent you reside, the deal could’ve come down early Thursday morning or late Wednesday night.
It doesn’t really matter. It’s perhaps the biggest trade of 2013.
Oh, and the Penguins have Sidney Crosby, the league’s leading scorer with 54 points in 34 games. In the last few days, the Penguins have gone from a very good team to the heavy favorites to win the Eastern Conference.
“What are you supposed to say, that we’re not all in?” Penguins general manager Ray Shero told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
“Yeah, we’re all in. We want to win.”
The Penguins are 26-8-0 and their 52 points is good enough for top spot in the Eastern Conference, five points up on the Montreal Canadiens.
It’s not all good news in Pittsburgh, however.
“Marc-Andre Fleury is continuing to get evaluated today,” Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma told NHL.com.
“There’s not any more information in that regard. He’s not been ruled out to be the backup (Thursday) as of yet.”
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 1
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 94
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 11
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (91)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)