Mar 28, 2013, 2:59 AM EDT
It was big news when the Pittsburgh Penguins picked up forward Brenden Morrow from the Dallas Stars on Sunday.
It was also big news when the Penguins acquired defenseman Douglas Murray from the San Jose Sharks on Monday.
Then, the hockey world found out that the Penguins acquired Jarome Iginla from the Calgary Flames in exchange for prospects Ben Hanowski, Kenny Agostino and a 2013 first-round draft pick. Depending on which part of the continent you reside, the deal could’ve come down early Thursday morning or late Wednesday night.
It doesn’t really matter. It’s perhaps the biggest trade of 2013.
Oh, and the Penguins have Sidney Crosby, the league’s leading scorer with 54 points in 34 games. In the last few days, the Penguins have gone from a very good team to the heavy favorites to win the Eastern Conference.
“What are you supposed to say, that we’re not all in?” Penguins general manager Ray Shero told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
“Yeah, we’re all in. We want to win.”
The Penguins are 26-8-0 and their 52 points is good enough for top spot in the Eastern Conference, five points up on the Montreal Canadiens.
It’s not all good news in Pittsburgh, however.
“Marc-Andre Fleury is continuing to get evaluated today,” Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma told NHL.com.
“There’s not any more information in that regard. He’s not been ruled out to be the backup (Thursday) as of yet.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)