Mar 27, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Someone’s interested in Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney after all.
The Boston Bruins are reportedly in discussions to bring the periodically scratched blueliner and a forward to Beantown via a trade, CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports.
The 30-year-old hasn’t had a great season, yet he’s been heating up lately … when he gets to play, at least. While his 10 points in 2013 aren’t eye-popping, it’s compelling that five of them have come in his last seven contests.
While Whitney has his warts (-25 the past two seasons, for one), the lure for the Bruins is obvious: improving the power play.
He used to help run the Pittsburgh Penguins power play before guys like Kris Letang pushed him out; Whitney has one 59 and one 40-point season on his resume.
Considering Edmonton’s penchant for benching him, it might not cost the Bruins all that much, but we’ll have to wait and see – if it even happens.
In other Bruins news, Haggerty reports that the team recalled forward Torey Krug, who’s been playing well in the AHL recently.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 4
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)