Mar 27, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Someone’s interested in Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney after all.
The Boston Bruins are reportedly in discussions to bring the periodically scratched blueliner and a forward to Beantown via a trade, CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports.
The 30-year-old hasn’t had a great season, yet he’s been heating up lately … when he gets to play, at least. While his 10 points in 2013 aren’t eye-popping, it’s compelling that five of them have come in his last seven contests.
While Whitney has his warts (-25 the past two seasons, for one), the lure for the Bruins is obvious: improving the power play.
He used to help run the Pittsburgh Penguins power play before guys like Kris Letang pushed him out; Whitney has one 59 and one 40-point season on his resume.
Considering Edmonton’s penchant for benching him, it might not cost the Bruins all that much, but we’ll have to wait and see – if it even happens.
In other Bruins news, Haggerty reports that the team recalled forward Torey Krug, who’s been playing well in the AHL recently.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 10
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 2
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 10
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4