Mar 27, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Someone’s interested in Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney after all.
The Boston Bruins are reportedly in discussions to bring the periodically scratched blueliner and a forward to Beantown via a trade, CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports.
The 30-year-old hasn’t had a great season, yet he’s been heating up lately … when he gets to play, at least. While his 10 points in 2013 aren’t eye-popping, it’s compelling that five of them have come in his last seven contests.
While Whitney has his warts (-25 the past two seasons, for one), the lure for the Bruins is obvious: improving the power play.
He used to help run the Pittsburgh Penguins power play before guys like Kris Letang pushed him out; Whitney has one 59 and one 40-point season on his resume.
Considering Edmonton’s penchant for benching him, it might not cost the Bruins all that much, but we’ll have to wait and see – if it even happens.
In other Bruins news, Haggerty reports that the team recalled forward Torey Krug, who’s been playing well in the AHL recently.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5