Mar 27, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Someone’s interested in Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney after all.
The Boston Bruins are reportedly in discussions to bring the periodically scratched blueliner and a forward to Beantown via a trade, CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports.
The 30-year-old hasn’t had a great season, yet he’s been heating up lately … when he gets to play, at least. While his 10 points in 2013 aren’t eye-popping, it’s compelling that five of them have come in his last seven contests.
While Whitney has his warts (-25 the past two seasons, for one), the lure for the Bruins is obvious: improving the power play.
He used to help run the Pittsburgh Penguins power play before guys like Kris Letang pushed him out; Whitney has one 59 and one 40-point season on his resume.
Considering Edmonton’s penchant for benching him, it might not cost the Bruins all that much, but we’ll have to wait and see – if it even happens.
In other Bruins news, Haggerty reports that the team recalled forward Torey Krug, who’s been playing well in the AHL recently.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)