Mar 27, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Someone’s interested in Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney after all.
The Boston Bruins are reportedly in discussions to bring the periodically scratched blueliner and a forward to Beantown via a trade, CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports.
The 30-year-old hasn’t had a great season, yet he’s been heating up lately … when he gets to play, at least. While his 10 points in 2013 aren’t eye-popping, it’s compelling that five of them have come in his last seven contests.
While Whitney has his warts (-25 the past two seasons, for one), the lure for the Bruins is obvious: improving the power play.
He used to help run the Pittsburgh Penguins power play before guys like Kris Letang pushed him out; Whitney has one 59 and one 40-point season on his resume.
Considering Edmonton’s penchant for benching him, it might not cost the Bruins all that much, but we’ll have to wait and see – if it even happens.
In other Bruins news, Haggerty reports that the team recalled forward Torey Krug, who’s been playing well in the AHL recently.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54