Mar 26, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
It was pretty hard to comprehend a $4 million defenseman not being able to even make the lineup on a team that’s not even an obvious contender. Whitney admitted it several weeks ago, too.
“They’re paying me a lot of money and I’m not playing,” Whitney said.
The 30-year-old has made a better case for himself lately, even though he’s still an occasional healthy scratch for Edmonton. Whitney has scored five of his 10 points in the last six games, strengthening the argument that he can be a useful offensive threat.
Whitney told the Edmonton Journal that he was surprised by his latest scratch on Monday and he also understands that he might be auditioning for a new team starting tonight.
“Me being scratched last game probably means something, but I’m here and I want to play as well as I can for the team and myself,” Whitney said. “In their minds, I’m battling for that sixth spot and doing what I can. Hopefully, that changes here or somewhere else. I’d like to be confident I’ll play a lot wherever I am. We’ll see.”
Since signing his soon-to-expire six-year, $24 million deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins, he’s already been traded two times, so it’s not outrageous to wonder if it will happen again.
There haven’t been too many strong rumblings about potential suitors, however.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39