Mar 26, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins added some snarl to their lineup by acquiring Brenden Morrow and Douglas Murray via trades. To some, that indicates that their work is done … but that might not necessarily be the case.
Penguins GM Ray Shero at least kept the door open about making a move. He gave more details about what he wants to Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
“Depth on the fourth line … or a winger for the second line, you never know,” Shero said.
(Some might believe that a fellow named Jarome Iginla might fall into that “second line” category, at least on a team that boasts Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in separate combinations. Just saying.)
Of course, some – like Sportsnet’s Mark Spector – believe that the Penguins might just stay in trade talks to drive prices up for other contenders (such as the Boston Bruins). For those crossing their fingers for an entertaining deadline, that wouldn’t be such a bad thing.
For what it’s worth, CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers reports that the Penguins are one of the many NHL teams who sent scouts to Tuesday’s Calgary Flames-Chicago Blackhawks game.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)