Mar 26, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins added some snarl to their lineup by acquiring Brenden Morrow and Douglas Murray via trades. To some, that indicates that their work is done … but that might not necessarily be the case.
Penguins GM Ray Shero at least kept the door open about making a move. He gave more details about what he wants to Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
“Depth on the fourth line … or a winger for the second line, you never know,” Shero said.
(Some might believe that a fellow named Jarome Iginla might fall into that “second line” category, at least on a team that boasts Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in separate combinations. Just saying.)
Of course, some – like Sportsnet’s Mark Spector – believe that the Penguins might just stay in trade talks to drive prices up for other contenders (such as the Boston Bruins). For those crossing their fingers for an entertaining deadline, that wouldn’t be such a bad thing.
For what it’s worth, CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers reports that the Penguins are one of the many NHL teams who sent scouts to Tuesday’s Calgary Flames-Chicago Blackhawks game.
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 5
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 43
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 50
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 53
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)