Mar 26, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes got some good news. 30-year-old forward Chad Larose is ready to return from a concussion and Carolina has activated him from the injured reserve list.
Going into this season, Jokinen had been on the decline with 65, 52, and 46 points in each of his previous three seasons.
With the additions of Jordan Staal and Alexander Semin, Jokinen has also saw his playing time dip in 2013. The rise of Riley Nash has further marginalized Jokinen, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
Jokinen has five goals and 10 points in 30 games this season, so a change of scenery might be right for him, but the big factor is his $3 million annual salary through the 2013-14 campaign.
That’s not a terrible price for the 29-year-old forward if he’s able to bounce back, but Carolina has put itself into a tight spot cap-wise after inking Semin to a five-year, $35 million extension. The Hurricanes don’t have any intention of sending Jokinen to the minors and are likely hoping that someone will relieve them of his cap hit.
Sportsnet’s Johnston reports that there has been interest in Jokinen, so it certainly wouldn’t be surprising if he’s wearing a different uniform soon.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 0
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 7
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 39
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 48
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (49)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)