Mar 26, 2013, 12:33 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes got some good news. 30-year-old forward Chad Larose is ready to return from a concussion and Carolina has activated him from the injured reserve list.
Going into this season, Jokinen had been on the decline with 65, 52, and 46 points in each of his previous three seasons.
With the additions of Jordan Staal and Alexander Semin, Jokinen has also saw his playing time dip in 2013. The rise of Riley Nash has further marginalized Jokinen, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
Jokinen has five goals and 10 points in 30 games this season, so a change of scenery might be right for him, but the big factor is his $3 million annual salary through the 2013-14 campaign.
That’s not a terrible price for the 29-year-old forward if he’s able to bounce back, but Carolina has put itself into a tight spot cap-wise after inking Semin to a five-year, $35 million extension. The Hurricanes don’t have any intention of sending Jokinen to the minors and are likely hoping that someone will relieve them of his cap hit.
Sportsnet’s Johnston reports that there has been interest in Jokinen, so it certainly wouldn’t be surprising if he’s wearing a different uniform soon.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)