Mar 25, 2013, 6:23 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have inked Alex Semin to a five-year, $35 million contract extension, the club announced on Monday.
“We’re very happy to retain Alex,” said ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford. “Alex is an elite player and has been a major contributor to the Hurricanes having a very strong top line.”
Semin, 29, inked a one-year, $7 million deal with Carolina last summer after spending the entirety of his career in Washington.
While there was no denying his offensive talent, questions about his attitude and desire left him untouched on the open market before the ‘Canes offered a short-term “prove it” deal.
He’s certainly done that.
Semin has 8G-22A-30PTS in 30 games this year, tied for 20th overall in league scoring while Staal sits seventh overall with 35 points. Tlusty is tied for 22nd in goals, with 13.
Semin’s deal is just the latest in Carolina’s spend-happy ways dating back to last January.
The spending starting with Tim Gleason (four years, $16 million) and extended to Tuomo Ruutu (four years, $19 million) Jeff Skinner (six years, $34.35 million) and Jordan Staal (10 years, $60 million).
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 30
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 27
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)