Mar 25, 2013, 6:23 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes have inked Alex Semin to a five-year, $35 million contract extension, the club announced on Monday.
“We’re very happy to retain Alex,” said ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford. “Alex is an elite player and has been a major contributor to the Hurricanes having a very strong top line.”
Semin, 29, inked a one-year, $7 million deal with Carolina last summer after spending the entirety of his career in Washington.
While there was no denying his offensive talent, questions about his attitude and desire left him untouched on the open market before the ‘Canes offered a short-term “prove it” deal.
He’s certainly done that.
Semin has 8G-22A-30PTS in 30 games this year, tied for 20th overall in league scoring while Staal sits seventh overall with 35 points. Tlusty is tied for 22nd in goals, with 13.
Semin’s deal is just the latest in Carolina’s spend-happy ways dating back to last January.
The spending starting with Tim Gleason (four years, $16 million) and extended to Tuomo Ruutu (four years, $19 million) Jeff Skinner (six years, $34.35 million) and Jordan Staal (10 years, $60 million).
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 68
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 90
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 101
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (114)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (102)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (90)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)