Mar 25, 2013, 6:23 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have inked Alex Semin to a five-year, $35 million contract extension, the club announced on Monday.
“We’re very happy to retain Alex,” said ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford. “Alex is an elite player and has been a major contributor to the Hurricanes having a very strong top line.”
Semin, 29, inked a one-year, $7 million deal with Carolina last summer after spending the entirety of his career in Washington.
While there was no denying his offensive talent, questions about his attitude and desire left him untouched on the open market before the ‘Canes offered a short-term “prove it” deal.
He’s certainly done that.
Semin has 8G-22A-30PTS in 30 games this year, tied for 20th overall in league scoring while Staal sits seventh overall with 35 points. Tlusty is tied for 22nd in goals, with 13.
Semin’s deal is just the latest in Carolina’s spend-happy ways dating back to last January.
The spending starting with Tim Gleason (four years, $16 million) and extended to Tuomo Ruutu (four years, $19 million) Jeff Skinner (six years, $34.35 million) and Jordan Staal (10 years, $60 million).
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)