Mar 25, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
Despite having a down year — just nine points through 25 games, with zero goals — San Jose’s Ryane Clowe is on a number of wish lists.
The 30-year-old’s career body of work has put him in demand. He’s scored 20 goals twice and 15 or more five times. He’s big (6-foot-2, 225 pounds) and plays with a nasty streak, twice racking up over 100 PIM in a season.
He also has a wealth of playoff experience. Clowe appeared in back-to-back Western Conference finals with the Sharks, including a tremendous 2011 run when he scored 15 points in 17 games and led the club in powerplay goals.
Throw in the fact he’s a pending UFA (his four year, $14.5 million deal expires this summer) and Clowe knows he’s a target for teams looking to make a playoff push.
“I hear it, like everyone else,” Clowe told CSN Bay Area. “I don’t pay too much attention to it.
“I understand things happen, but I would obviously like to stay here, too, and see this through. I haven’t had the year I’ve wanted, but that’s not affecting me, the trade rumors.”
Clowe isn’t the only piece of this trade rumor. There’s also his general manager.
After shipping out defenseman Douglas Murray, Sharks GM Doug Wilson admitted his phone has been busy and that he was accepting all calls, looking to take advantage of a trade market that was thin on sellers but heavy on buyers.
“If you’re decisive in your decisions,” Wilson said, “you can get full value.”
As for who’s interested in Clowe?
CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty notes that Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has always had a “fondness” for Clowe, and Boston is in need of forward depth after the injury to Chris Kelly and ineffectiveness of Rich Peverley (who was a healthy scratch last week).
Toronto could be another team that’s in play. Clowe’s rough-and-tumble style would play well on a team that leads the NHL in fighting majors (33) this season and would relish added postseason experience.
Edmonton’s not exactly in a playoff chase, but has been linked to Clowe. The Oilers have been on the hunt for a big, physical winger for what feels like forever and will have some money coming off the books in Ryan Whitney ($4 million), Nikolai Khabibulin ($3.75), Andy Sutton ($1.75) this summer, and could consider using a buyout on captain Shawn Horcoff ($5.5 million).
Clowe could be a guy they target not as a rental, but someone to sign to term.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 9
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 19
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)