Mar 25, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
Briere reportedly suffered the injury Saturday when he crashed into the boards during practice. The 35-year-old missed Sunday’s 2-1 overtime loss to Pittsburgh.
For the Flyers, it’s more bad news in a season that appears likely to finish without a playoff appearance. With 17 games remaining, Philadelphia is five points back of the eighth-place Rangers in the Eastern Conference.
Briere has five goals and eight assists in 26 games.
The injury should also end the trade speculation that’s surrounded the veteran forward as the April 3 deadline approaches. Briere is signed through 2014-15 with a cap hit of $6.5 million; however, his salary dips to $3 million and $2 million for next season and the one after that, respectively.
The Flyers also announced that defenseman Nicklas Grossmann is day-to-day with an upper-body injury.
Philadelphia hosts the Rangers Tuesday.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)