Mar 25, 2013, 2:25 PM EST
Briere reportedly suffered the injury Saturday when he crashed into the boards during practice. The 35-year-old missed Sunday’s 2-1 overtime loss to Pittsburgh.
For the Flyers, it’s more bad news in a season that appears likely to finish without a playoff appearance. With 17 games remaining, Philadelphia is five points back of the eighth-place Rangers in the Eastern Conference.
Briere has five goals and eight assists in 26 games.
The injury should also end the trade speculation that’s surrounded the veteran forward as the April 3 deadline approaches. Briere is signed through 2014-15 with a cap hit of $6.5 million; however, his salary dips to $3 million and $2 million for next season and the one after that, respectively.
The Flyers also announced that defenseman Nicklas Grossmann is day-to-day with an upper-body injury.
Philadelphia hosts the Rangers Tuesday.
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 5
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 43
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 50
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 53
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)