Mar 25, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
Briere reportedly suffered the injury Saturday when he crashed into the boards during practice. The 35-year-old missed Sunday’s 2-1 overtime loss to Pittsburgh.
For the Flyers, it’s more bad news in a season that appears likely to finish without a playoff appearance. With 17 games remaining, Philadelphia is five points back of the eighth-place Rangers in the Eastern Conference.
Briere has five goals and eight assists in 26 games.
The injury should also end the trade speculation that’s surrounded the veteran forward as the April 3 deadline approaches. Briere is signed through 2014-15 with a cap hit of $6.5 million; however, his salary dips to $3 million and $2 million for next season and the one after that, respectively.
The Flyers also announced that defenseman Nicklas Grossmann is day-to-day with an upper-body injury.
Philadelphia hosts the Rangers Tuesday.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 16
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)