Mar 25, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
Briere reportedly suffered the injury Saturday when he crashed into the boards during practice. The 35-year-old missed Sunday’s 2-1 overtime loss to Pittsburgh.
For the Flyers, it’s more bad news in a season that appears likely to finish without a playoff appearance. With 17 games remaining, Philadelphia is five points back of the eighth-place Rangers in the Eastern Conference.
Briere has five goals and eight assists in 26 games.
The injury should also end the trade speculation that’s surrounded the veteran forward as the April 3 deadline approaches. Briere is signed through 2014-15 with a cap hit of $6.5 million; however, his salary dips to $3 million and $2 million for next season and the one after that, respectively.
The Flyers also announced that defenseman Nicklas Grossmann is day-to-day with an upper-body injury.
Philadelphia hosts the Rangers Tuesday.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 31
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)