Mar 25, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
Briere reportedly suffered the injury Saturday when he crashed into the boards during practice. The 35-year-old missed Sunday’s 2-1 overtime loss to Pittsburgh.
For the Flyers, it’s more bad news in a season that appears likely to finish without a playoff appearance. With 17 games remaining, Philadelphia is five points back of the eighth-place Rangers in the Eastern Conference.
Briere has five goals and eight assists in 26 games.
The injury should also end the trade speculation that’s surrounded the veteran forward as the April 3 deadline approaches. Briere is signed through 2014-15 with a cap hit of $6.5 million; however, his salary dips to $3 million and $2 million for next season and the one after that, respectively.
The Flyers also announced that defenseman Nicklas Grossmann is day-to-day with an upper-body injury.
Philadelphia hosts the Rangers Tuesday.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 10
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)