Feb 27, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
Could Daniel Briere be on the move?
That’s the question circulating around Philly this morning after the Daily News’ Frank Seravalli broke word that a pair of teams — the Blues and Bruins — have inquired about the 35-year-old.
Also interesting is that St. Louis and Boston — both likely playoff bound — are kicking the tires on a great playoff scorer (Briere has 108 points in 109 career postseason games.)
Now all that said, Briere doesn’t sound interested in changing addresses.
More, from Seravalli:
Briere, 35, is one player who isn’t going anywhere. The Flyers have not asked Briere to waive his no-trade clause, and it isn’t clear whether they’re interested in moving him, but he provided an answer Tuesday.
Briere has a full no-movement clause – meaning he can’t even be sent to the minors without his permission – and will not waive it to be dealt to any team in the NHL, regardless of destination.
“I don’t want to comment on anything at this point,” Briere told the Daily News. “Trades are not my department. I’ve been a Flyer for a long time. My heart belongs in Philadelphia with the Flyers. I can’t see myself playing anywhere else.”
Briere has two seasons left on the eight-year, $52 million deal he signed back in 2007, though the last two years come at a great price ($3 and $2 million in salary, respectively.)
St. Louis is probably the most intriguing of the two suitors. GM Doug Armstrong was in Philly last week as part of his Eastern Conference tour, and the Blues have some familiarity with Briere — Ken Hitchcock coached against him for years during his tenure behind the Flyers bench, and assistant coach Brad Shaw was with the Phoenix organization while Briere played for the Coyotes.
The Bruins know Briere as well. During their epic collapse from 3-0 up in the 2010 Eastern Conference semifinals, Boston watched as he tallied six points over the final four games of the series, which included the game-tying in Game 7.
Update: Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes more about Armstrong “tracking” the Flyers closely.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)