Mar 24, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
Multiple sources indicated that the Brenden Morrow sweepstakes boiled down to two Eastern Conference contenders: the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins.
Obviously, Morrow opted for the Penguins, but B’s fans might wonder what GM Peter Chiarelli put on the table for the former Dallas Stars captain. CSNNE.com quotes anonymous sources who indicate that this was the failed bid:
A second-round pick and 19-year-old prospect Alex Khokhlachev.
It’s unclear if the Stars would have needed to package a third-rounder with Morrow to get that Bruins package like they did with the Penguins.
Maybe the preferences of Morrow, 34, factored into the Stars’ choice, but many might look back at the deal and weigh the value of the the prospect in the rejected deal (Khokhlachev, a forward) versus the accepted one (defenseman Joe Morrow).
One might venture a guess that the Bruins are still in the market for an asset. CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz reports that Ryane Clowe is out of the mix, but there are plenty of other possibilities – Jarome Iginla‘s name comes up a lot – to keep things interesting.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)