Mar 24, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
Multiple sources indicated that the Brenden Morrow sweepstakes boiled down to two Eastern Conference contenders: the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins.
Obviously, Morrow opted for the Penguins, but B’s fans might wonder what GM Peter Chiarelli put on the table for the former Dallas Stars captain. CSNNE.com quotes anonymous sources who indicate that this was the failed bid:
A second-round pick and 19-year-old prospect Alex Khokhlachev.
It’s unclear if the Stars would have needed to package a third-rounder with Morrow to get that Bruins package like they did with the Penguins.
Maybe the preferences of Morrow, 34, factored into the Stars’ choice, but many might look back at the deal and weigh the value of the the prospect in the rejected deal (Khokhlachev, a forward) versus the accepted one (defenseman Joe Morrow).
One might venture a guess that the Bruins are still in the market for an asset. CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz reports that Ryane Clowe is out of the mix, but there are plenty of other possibilities – Jarome Iginla‘s name comes up a lot – to keep things interesting.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)