Mar 24, 2013, 8:40 PM EST
Multiple sources indicated that the Brenden Morrow sweepstakes boiled down to two Eastern Conference contenders: the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins.
Obviously, Morrow opted for the Penguins, but B’s fans might wonder what GM Peter Chiarelli put on the table for the former Dallas Stars captain. CSNNE.com quotes anonymous sources who indicate that this was the failed bid:
A second-round pick and 19-year-old prospect Alex Khokhlachev.
It’s unclear if the Stars would have needed to package a third-rounder with Morrow to get that Bruins package like they did with the Penguins.
Maybe the preferences of Morrow, 34, factored into the Stars’ choice, but many might look back at the deal and weigh the value of the the prospect in the rejected deal (Khokhlachev, a forward) versus the accepted one (defenseman Joe Morrow).
One might venture a guess that the Bruins are still in the market for an asset. CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz reports that Ryane Clowe is out of the mix, but there are plenty of other possibilities – Jarome Iginla‘s name comes up a lot – to keep things interesting.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 50
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (50)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)