Mar 24, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
Multiple sources indicated that the Brenden Morrow sweepstakes boiled down to two Eastern Conference contenders: the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins.
Obviously, Morrow opted for the Penguins, but B’s fans might wonder what GM Peter Chiarelli put on the table for the former Dallas Stars captain. CSNNE.com quotes anonymous sources who indicate that this was the failed bid:
A second-round pick and 19-year-old prospect Alex Khokhlachev.
It’s unclear if the Stars would have needed to package a third-rounder with Morrow to get that Bruins package like they did with the Penguins.
Maybe the preferences of Morrow, 34, factored into the Stars’ choice, but many might look back at the deal and weigh the value of the the prospect in the rejected deal (Khokhlachev, a forward) versus the accepted one (defenseman Joe Morrow).
One might venture a guess that the Bruins are still in the market for an asset. CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz reports that Ryane Clowe is out of the mix, but there are plenty of other possibilities – Jarome Iginla‘s name comes up a lot – to keep things interesting.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 21
- Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 26
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)