Mar 24, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
Multiple sources indicated that the Brenden Morrow sweepstakes boiled down to two Eastern Conference contenders: the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins.
Obviously, Morrow opted for the Penguins, but B’s fans might wonder what GM Peter Chiarelli put on the table for the former Dallas Stars captain. CSNNE.com quotes anonymous sources who indicate that this was the failed bid:
A second-round pick and 19-year-old prospect Alex Khokhlachev.
It’s unclear if the Stars would have needed to package a third-rounder with Morrow to get that Bruins package like they did with the Penguins.
Maybe the preferences of Morrow, 34, factored into the Stars’ choice, but many might look back at the deal and weigh the value of the the prospect in the rejected deal (Khokhlachev, a forward) versus the accepted one (defenseman Joe Morrow).
One might venture a guess that the Bruins are still in the market for an asset. CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz reports that Ryane Clowe is out of the mix, but there are plenty of other possibilities – Jarome Iginla‘s name comes up a lot – to keep things interesting.
- Andre’s gigantic game: Caps push Rangers to the brink 63
- Quick strike: Lightning steal Game 3 from Habs with last-second goal 22
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 20
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 48
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (67)
- Andre’s gigantic game: Caps push Rangers to the brink (64)